N.A.D. Mark llC+ SRG

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markedman

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.flickr.com/photos/100168049@N04/16069312413/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Rk5JFZe3I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mObmaflgvqY
I haven't even scratched the surface yet. My first impression is how raw the tone is, an abrasive in your face deal where every thing, good or bad, is right up front with zero lag time. It's not pretty. Kinda like looking at Pam Anderson with a magnifying glass without make-up. I'm going to have to sharpen up my guitar skills real fast or I'll be embarrassed having such an incredible amp. It's like driving a real race car after driving a top of the line BMW/Porsche/Ferrari, the street cars were great until you got on the track in an F1 race car - it's a huge difference.

Congrats!

As you say, the downside of these amps are that they are extremely honest, if you play sloppy you WILL hear everything, but then again you will be a better player.

The mid knob seems to have twice the effect on sound compared to the Mark lll.'s. I actually dial in the bass at 2-3 right where it starts to add depth and the mids right now are at 5. I'm working on a sweet Dumble tone with the volume at 6 and treble 8, lead gain 3.5, with a slight boost in the outer GEQ sliders and a dip in the middle one, all knobs pulled, this amp sounds more Marshall than Fender.

The mid knob seems to have twice the effect on sound compared to the Mark lll.'s. I actually dial in the bass at 2-3 right where it starts to add depth and the mids right now are at 5. I'm working on a sweet Dumble tone with the volume at 6 and treble 8, lead gain 3.5, with a slight boost in the outer GEQ sliders and a dip in the middle one, all knobs pulled, this amp sounds more Marshall than Fender.

Markedman said:
You'll get lots of bass and mids with both Bass shifts pulled. Where are you running the Master Vol?

If you want to tame the highs,and arent looking for heavy metal tones,try a good quality NOS 5751 in V1.I have one in V1 and V3 and it really gives a nice smooth break up.

So it's been 2 weeks since I purchased the amp. I tried a few combinations of tubes, both power and pre-amp tubes and I've found I like the Mesa 420 power tubes the best verses Ruby, JJ, =C=, and GT. It was a smooth sounding amp with most of the stock tubes I tried, then I put a 60's Bugle Boy in V1. As soon as I turned the amp on, the amp jumped to life like no other, growling and screaming at me so hard it felt personal. It actually freaked me out because I put the tube in after the amp cooled and didn't play it until the next day and forgot I switched out the other tube. It literally startled me. Another thing I noticed was that my thiele cabinet is not the best for small clubs as it is too focused so I'm building an open back cabinet. One of my Mark lll's is out on loan and the other one a friend is convinced I'll never use so he offered a fair price for it but I'm not selling either one at this juncture. The amp is not a fan of active pick-ups IMO, they work great with the Mark llls but my Jackson with a passive pick-up shines and the amp enjoys the stratocaster with single coils also. I'm still bonding with it and have found an odd EQ curve that just rules, sort of an M. I'll be picking up a few more C+'s in the coming year, I could sell this one at a profit already, but I can see a few youngsters growing up on the "C+" sound and will pay big bucks 20 years down the road for the best amp ever produced. Great investment amps for sure, Ed Roman once clued me in on what to look for in investing in guitars and I'm sure it applies to most things. "People grow up wanting something all their life and will pay a crazy amount to get that something when mid-life hits and they have the money."

I'm assuming it is. I got it out of an old Danelectro amp (there were three!) The printing on the tube was new and it is almost gone from moving it, that's a good sign.

I thought I'd post an update now that I've had the amp for six weeks. I have found I like the amp using the GEQ as a lead boost more so than a tone shaper. I was using an MXR Micro-amp in the loop for lead boost because the GEQ was part of my tone, but messing around with the amp's tone knobs and pull functions I've been able to get a real good sound without the GEQ. I'm still going back and forth with the lead drive, I'm at 5.5-3 depending on volume, but it sings nicely at 3. I can see how some people would hate fiddling with an amp constantly but I love it.

Nice! Good to hear you are still enjoying these wonderful amps.
Your first post in this thread was a sweet one. You had a great analogy, one that is hard to explain for those who have never had the opportunity to play through a C+

I fiddle around with the knobs now and then just to keep myself from forgetting how they all interact ;-)
My EQ settings tend to differ from what others use. Then again it depends on the speakers/ cabs in use too.
Bottom line nobodies settings work for everybody, listen with your ears, tweak things to get the sound/ tone you want.
Fwiw I also only use EQ on the lead channel.
As you know, you can set the EQ to kick in when switching to the lead channel and have it off when on clean channel.
Changing guitars (one with humbuckers to single coils) will changes some of the settings and whether knobs are pulled or not too etc.

Thanks gts. I guess I should have mentioned that I'm playing through an old Marshall 800 series 4X12 with G70's. What made me wonder about getting a good sound out of the amp without the GEQ was a thread on tgp where a fellow talked about how the non-GEQ C+ amps were voiced brighter so I turned all the knobs down to 0, pushed in, and started from scratch intentionally not using the GEQ. It left me wondering what frequencies I'm turning up when I turn the treble, middle and bass knobs up because if they're all at 0 there's no sound no matter how high any volume knob is turned to. Do they boost only? Or, at five do they boost and below five do they cut? Doesn't matter, but I still wonder. I had a set of Mark ll foot switches laying around, one of the stereo ones, so I can turn the reverb and GEQ on and off. What a strange spot in between the tubes to put a foot switch plug, at least it's stereo! My settings are - Volume 1 pulled set at 9, treble pulled 8, bass 3.5, mid 8, master 1.5 pulled (not quite loud enough for band practice, but loud) LD 5.5, LM 7 pulled. The GEQ is set to a slight M with 750 a shade below center. Obviously the GEQ is only slightly louder when kicked in and provides a nice cutting tone, and with the slight mid cut it doesn't poke you in the eye when switching in the GEQ on the clean channel. I think the key is keeping the bass shift pushed in, that keeps the tone bright. I also go back and forth with volume 1 at 10, treble at 10, LD at 3, it sounds similar on the lead channel and fuller on the clean, but that is so yesterday. Presence at 10 doesn't hurt, anything lower is pillow-over-the-speaker for my taste. It's been that way with every amp, all my life. I'd rather dial back the treble than the presence. I also hate gain pedals.
I did some Metallica and Pantera tone chasing the first few days just to see how it stacked up and frankly, I can get pretty much any tone with the amp that I could want when I mess with the GEQ. I'm not currently in an active band, my bass player died and the thought of joining a cover band doesn't appeal to me at the moment, but I have a couple of offers to sit in at couple of festivals and such and will be able to shine like a very bright star with that amp. I'm writing new songs like crazy with a twist, I'm writing just one song at a time from beginning to end in one night. I am doing this with a whole bunch of musicians until I get enough songs and then I'll bring them all back to re-record the songs polished up. Last Thursday I hooked up with some H.S. classmates and explained what I'm up to and they were way into it. I'm writing a song tonight with a client that I just wallpapered a couple of rooms for.
Mesa Boogie amps changed my life by getting me back into tone, I had grown very weary of Fender and Marshall amps and all the boutique stuff sounded stifled to my ears. Nothing was sounding like I wanted and was thinking maybe modelers were the way to go. It started when I walked into a pawn shop - Mark IV/$650/December 2012 - everything changed, I play an amp now, not just a guitar.

From the gear page;
Just a couple of random points:

The big (sonic) difference between IIc+ and the earlier II's is the lead channel. The IIc+ has the legendary liquid lead tone, the earlier II's are more classic rock oriented.

Not all IIc+s were created equal. Different components were used in different units, resulting in different sounding units (and then of course you also had optional features). Most notoriously, the GEQ-equipped models tended to use bigger coupling caps, resulting in deeper and fatter sound, while the units without the GEQ used smaller coupling caps, which yielded brighter and tighter sound. There is no single 'historically correct' IIc+ sound to reproduce/reissue, all individual units sounded slightly different.

Consequently, the mode on the Mark V represents the sound of a IIc+, one particular bright and tight unit (small coupling cap) that Doug West liked. It does a decent job. I have a V and I also have a IIc+. My IIc+ has the GEQ and sounds significantly fatter and deeper than the IIc+ mode on the V, and its feel is much more organic and looser than anything you can get from the V.

The reason the IIc+ and the V sound fairly similar (but not quite) on the Petrucci video has to do with how he EQs them. The IIc+ can also give you lots of other sounds that are harder to emulate on the V, especially if you have the GEQ on your IIc+. The video tells you absolute nothing about the difference in amp feel/behavior.

Markedman said:
What made me wonder about getting a good sound out of the amp without the GEQ was a thread on tgp where a fellow talked about how the non-GEQ C+ amps were voiced brighter so I turned all the knobs down to 0, pushed in, and started from scratch intentionally not using the GEQ. It left me wondering what frequencies I'm turning up when I turn the treble, middle and bass knobs up because if they're all at 0 there's no sound no matter how high any volume knob is turned to. Do they boost only? Or, at five do they boost and below five do they cut? Doesn't matter, but I still wonder.

Comparing a non-GEQ C+ to a GEQ C+ with the GEQ disengaged is not really relevant. The guitar signal still passes through the transistor-based circuit which drives the GEQ, while there is no such circuit in a non-GEQ C+. So you would have to hard-bypass this circuit in order to make a fair comparison.

Concerning the tonestack, it is a passive circuit so it doesn't boost any frequency, it just cuts them. With the pots on 10, it cuts just a bit. With the pots on 5, it cuts more. And with the pots on 0, it cuts the most, leading to no sound at all on fender-like amps (like the mark series) while it doesn't cut all the sound on marshall-like amps.

I picked up a nice 1X12 open back Boogie cabinet with a EV in it, it sounds great. Volume 1 - 10 pulled, treble 8 pulled, bass 3.5 pulled, middle 10, master 1.5 loud, LD 3, LM 8 pulled. GEQ for lead boost. Amperex bugle boy NOS in V1.

From the ad on CL -
Mesa/Boogie 1x12 cabinet EVM 12-l loaded - $200 (Plymouth)

condition: good?make / manufacturer: Mesa/Boogie?model name / number: 1x12 cabinet
• safety tips
• prohibited items
• product recalls
• avoiding scams

80's Mesa/Boogie Mark III era 1x12 cabinet. EVM 12-l speaker. Works perfectly. It was originally a 1/2 back but a panel has been added to close the back for more bass. This is easily reversible. There are a couple of scuffs and very small tolex tears. Overall I would say "good" cosmetic condition. $200.
Concerning the tonestack, it is a passive circuit so it doesn't boost any frequency, it just cuts them. With the pots on 10, it cuts just a bit. With the pots on 5, it cuts more. And with the pots on 0, it cuts the most, leading to no sound at all on fender-like amps (like the mark series) while it doesn't cut all the sound on marshall-like amps.
That is great information, thanks.

Back