mark iv owners-what do you like about yours?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuners

Reaction score
greetings all!!
this is my first post and i would appreciate any opinions that you have. i purchased a lone star special back in april and it is simply one of the best amps that i haved owned! i would like to purchase another mesa but need advice as it is difficult to find these amps and play them first.
my style is jazz/blues with a frequent entry into classic creedence clearwater revival tone. i play at home and never gig so a road king is not suited for my environment (rats!!). i am seriously looking at the mark iv as it seems to be well suited to many different styles. what is your opinion of this choice?
be cool and play well!!

Not sure what the Mark IV would give you over the Lonestar. If your need is for home recording, I'd highly recommend buying a stereo preamp instead.

The Mark IV is somewhat similar to the IIC+ in terms of sound. It's clean channel doesn't sound as good to me. Actually its rhythm channel sounds somewhat "boxed in" (less "open sounding") (talk about subjective!) than the IIC+. It's a bit dull sounding as a jazz amp.

I've recently retubed both my IIC+ and IV, with NOS and top of the line Groove Tubes. Noticeable difference in both. I've brightened up the sound of the Mark IV with some NOS 12AY7s and GT 12AX7Ms. It's a bit better for jazz now. Still not the ideal amp for a Gibson Super V CES, or ES175 or Ibanez GB10.

I have had extremely good luck with my Boogie Formula Preamp. It's GREAT for JAZZ!!!!! I had no idea it would be. Best gadget I know for recording archtop guitar onto a computer. Also does the vintage Boogie distortion plus newer Boogie distortion as well.

Needless to say, for fusion, my new PRS Custom 24 sounds fantastic (if I do say so) thru both the IIC+ and IV. Mindboogling. PRS and Boogies were meant for each other.

Back