Vertical Halfback 2x12

Pre Recto days. Boogie modified Fenders, Mark I-IV, Dual Calibers, etc

Moderators: Grandor, ned, Guitarzan, Platypus

Newbomb Turk
Bottle Rocket

Vertical Halfback 2x12

Post by Newbomb Turk » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:36 pm

Last weekend I picked up a vertical Halfback 2x12 loaded with 2 C90s. Its in really nice condition, with only minor scuffs here and there, missing a caster, and a little dirty. I only paid $275 for it, so the missing caster and being dirty didn't bother me much at all. I cleaned it up, took the other casters out (I've got a 4 wheel dollie to move it around, so no big deal here....), rewired it from 4 ohms to 16 ohms, and its good to go. I've got a Fender Prosonic head on the way, so I haven't had a chance to give it a good wringing out, but I did plug it into my Prosonic combo for a few minutes and it sounds really good. I can't wait to get the head and give it a proper wailing. :mrgreen:

I haven't been able to find much out about these cabs, anyone know much more about them? When were they made, etc?

kdorsey
Donating Member

Re: Vertical Halfback 2x12

Post by kdorsey » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:28 am

What a great find...and even better price! :shock: It looks a lot like my '89 with the same handles and mono input jack. I have 2 C-90s in one of mine and have for several years. Sounds great. It really changes character if you close the top of the cab, too. Highly recommended mod.

Enjoy!
'89 Mk III Combo - green stripe
Simul w/ EL-34s | EQ | Rev | EV12L

(2) Boogie 2x12 Half-back Cabs

Newbomb Turk
Bottle Rocket

Post by Newbomb Turk » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:53 pm

kdorsey wrote:What a great find...and even better price! :shock: It looks a lot like my '89 with the same handles and mono input jack. I have 2 C-90s in one of mine and have for several years. Sounds great. It really changes character if you close the top of the cab, too. Highly recommended mod.

Enjoy!
Thanks! I was actually thinking about trying it out with the upper speaker closed.......Once my Prosonic gets here I will try it both ways.

gts
Mark IV
Location: Looking over the shoulder of the guy who lost his apples - not that he really ever had any to lose.

Post by gts » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:53 am

Replacement casters are easy to find as they are still being made.
I may even have a spare kicking around.
Send a PM if interested.

1dg618
Bottle Rocket

Post by 1dg618 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:10 pm

About how heavy is it? Is it made of Birch wood or ?

Newbomb Turk
Bottle Rocket

Post by Newbomb Turk » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:04 am

gts wrote:Replacement casters are easy to find as they are still being made.
I may even have a spare kicking around.
Send a PM if interested.
I appreciate the offer, but since I've got the 4 wheel dollie to move it, I don't really have any use for the casters. Thanks again!

1dg618 wrote:About how heavy is it? Is it made of Birch wood or ?
Not sure how much it weighs, but if I were guessing, I'd say in the 40-60 lb. ballpark. Not exactly sure what its made of, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't birch.

gts
Mark IV
Location: Looking over the shoulder of the guy who lost his apples - not that he really ever had any to lose.

Post by gts » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:58 am

These older cabs were not made out of Baltic Birch.
Usually they used a generic 3/4" cabinet grade plywood.
I've seen some that were made with 3/4" Luan (aka "Phillipino Mahogany" plywood)