Power Tubes For Mark III Simul-class. EL34 & 6CA7.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dear Mesa Boogie Mark III Users ,

I am just wondering if I can use 2 different tubes in the outer sockets of Mesa boogie mark III simul-class , One to be EL34 and the other 6CA7 from another brand like tung-sol and Electro Harmonix.

Would that cause any problems? I know mesa boogie are fixed biased.

Waiting for replies.

thank all.

In this situation, power tubes have to be matched pairs. They work together and a mismatch would probably yield very undesired results. Your power transformer may get very upset. Keep the inner pair and outer pair as matched sets.

kdorsey said:
In this situation, power tubes have to be matched pairs. They work together and a mismatch would probably yield very undesired results. Your power transformer may get very upset. Keep the inner pair and outer pair as matched sets.

Thank you Sir , What best EL34-KT77-6CA7 Type would you recommend for the Mark iii Outer Sockets ?

The "best" are the Sylvania big bottles. Those are the ones the amp was fitted with by Mesa Boogie. A bit hard to find and very expensive if you do.

I just call Mesa & tell 'em what amp I have & ask what they have available, order them & pop them in.
They work & sound fine. I sincerely doubt that anyone in the audience would notice the audio difference between a pair of 50$ & 150$ tubes. Many folks feel that mp3's sound just ducky..... Gaak!

In my Mark3 the difference is subtle but apparent (to me). YMMV. Depends what flavor you like & what suits your style of play.
Then there is the whole "tube rolling" thing.
Have fun finding your tone.

Buddy said:
The "best" are the Sylvania big bottles. Those are the ones the amp was fitted with by Mesa Boogie. A bit hard to find and very expensive if you do.

I just call Mesa & tell 'em what amp I have & ask what they have available, order them & pop them in.
They work & sound fine. I sincerely doubt that anyone in the audience would notice the audio difference between a pair of 50$ & 150$ tubes. Many folks feel that mp3's sound just ducky..... Gaak!

Mesa-labelled Sylvania STR 416s. To paraphrase Mike Bendinelli, after the first cymbal crash, nobody can hear the difference. But when you are chasing a tone (and feel) for recording, there is a difference.

Back