Mark IV Silent Recording

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaudiophile

Reaction score
Do any Mark IV owners have experience with this amp's silent recording pull switch/speaker mute feature? I am interested in recording at home through my computer, but I'll only be able to record loud with mics some of the time. How's the tone in comparison to louder speaker volumes, and/or Mesa tube preamplifiers like the Triaxis or Dual Rec? I read the manual through Mesa's website and it said that it does an excellent job and requires very little need, if any, for equalizing-- said that the channel assignable graphic eq is ample, and works very well with this mode. Is this true? Thoughts & Opinions, Pros/Cons would be helpful. Thanks.

I've used the direct out on the Mark IV and "excellent job" is not how I'd put it. But that may be because I set the tone based on the front of the amp at real volume, set up the mics and just used the recording out because we had an extra channel. I don't think any of that track made it to the final mix.
But starting with the direct out and adjusting to what sounds right should make it possible to get some good tone.
Good luck!

zaudiophile said:
Do any Mark IV owners have experience with this amp's silent recording pull switch/speaker mute feature? I am interested in recording at home through my computer, but I'll only be able to record loud with mics some of the time. How's the tone in comparison to louder speaker volumes, and/or Mesa tube preamplifiers like the Triaxis or Dual Rec? I read the manual through Mesa's website and it said that it does an excellent job and requires very little need, if any, for equalizing-- said that the channel assignable graphic eq is ample, and works very well with this mode. Is this true? Thoughts & Opinions, Pros/Cons would be helpful. Thanks.

I tried it, didn't like it at all. Might have been a good novelty in 1989, not good for today's recording needs.

For what you want to do, you'd be far better served with a preamp like a Formula, Triaxis Recto Recording Pre, V-Twin rackmount etc. Speaker emulation ability is of paramount concern.

I've been using my Formula Preamp for computer based recording for about 4 years now. Couldn't do without it. PLUS, IT'S FULL STEREO! The speaker emulation is pretty good. Cheap on eBay too, under $500.

The ENGL 530 sells really cheap on eBay, seen them as low as $200. Looks like a great preamp. I've also seen some fine deals on Soldano X-77s. Boogie Triaxis sell for anywhere from $700 upwards.

The top of the line VHT preamp looks fantastic. About $1100 new. ENGL also makes a killer top of the line preamp for about $2300. I think Boogie makes a high end unit too :}

Latest posts

Back