Mark III cap job woes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelpingFriendly

Reaction score
Hey phreinds. So I just brought my purple stripe to my local tech for some things done and a once over. I asked him to install a bias pot, change the filter caps and depending on how it checks out maybe a triode/pentode switch. So long story short he took 2 hrs bench time to tell me there was a resistor that was burnt and he replaced as well as a wrong cap value which was causing havoc. So he then proceeded to do the bias pot and triode/pentode switch and now the bill is $392!!

The worst part of all this is the one thing I wanted done most was the filter caps. I suspect they are the original caps and are pushing 30 years. He is an old school guy who has been working on tube amps for 50 years and is in the "if it aint broke don't fix it" school. Which I totally get but if a cap is almost 30 years old I would assume that if I put new quality ones in I would notice some improvement in tone of at least in response? This guy told me the caps were fine and not to change them. The thing that really kinda bothered me is before I even brought my amp there he was leaning towards not doing them. Saying "we'll see when it gets here BUT these caps hardly fail unless the amp is not played for some time." Which yes is true but it also wouldn't hurt to update them either. Is it hard to do or something? Is that why he was so anti-recap? I know the 4 long 220uf caps are in a detachable pcb so that should be an easy install. But does anyone know if the other 3 30uf caps have to have the whole board flipped to install?

Since I can't afford to have a tech do it now I want to do myself. I know how to discharge the caps and understand all the safety precautions. I have done plenty of mods before and can solder. Does anyone have any tips on recaping a Mark III? Is there a way I don't have to flip the board for the 3 30uf's on the pre board?

I know this can be frustrating, but perhaps your tech is simply trying to do the right thing by you, and save you some money?
I have a late 80's Studio 22+ and got the same reply from my tech, "they really don't need replacing". I thought the same thing, why doesn't he just do it? The answer is, 'cause he knows what he's talking about, and he's an honest guy. He's also probably the best amp tech in Australia (John, at BJ amplifiers, Brisbane).
In hindsight, he's right. My amp sounds fine. I just read a lot on this forum that they should be replaced. But I trust John.

tonejam said:
I know this can be frustrating, but perhaps your tech is simply trying to do the right thing by you, and save you some money?
I have a late 80's Studio 22+ and got the same reply from my tech, "they really don't need replacing". I thought the same thing, why doesn't he just do it? The answer is, 'cause he knows what he's talking about, and he's an honest guy. He's also probably the best amp tech in Australia (John, at BJ amplifiers, Brisbane).
In hindsight, he's right. My amp sounds fine. I just read a lot on this forum that they should be replaced. But I trust John.

I see your point TJ. I had the same initial impression and to be honest I still do. I believe he is coming from a good place. I guess I really just wanted to hear what other board members thought or experienced. But you are right about reading how they should be changed every 10-15 years all over the web can persuade you to think a recap is over do. Myself, (as most of do) want the best possible tone and efficiency out of my beloved amp. It kills me when I read how people got great improvements from a cap change who's caps were up in years as my own. I guess I just need to trust the guys who have been doing this stuff for a living, as hard as it is.

I would still like to know the protocol on recapping the 3 30uf's on the pre board though. So when I do have to do it I am ready and prepared. They can't last forever and I never plan on selling this amp!

Latest posts

Back