The End of Svetlana Winged C

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoads

Reaction score
:( Maybe i'm late on the news, but i wanted to buy some tubes today on that site ww.tubedepot.com ( i always buy my tubes there) and i read this message "SED (Winged 'C') As of February 2014, the SED factory is not producing glass vacuum tubes. This is indeed a very sad thing as SED tubes are some of the best tubes out there. Should production recommence, we will let you know. " :( :(

NNNNOOOOOO What i'm doing now ! that's a sad day for the Mark Lover like me :lol:

Anyone here have a good substitute ? Thanks

Let us know how the Tung Sol 7581s compare. By the way, I like your video in your sig.

swbo101 said:
Markedman said:

I know it's time consuming, but be sure to read the whole thread.

I did, but the feedback seems to border on fickle - they're great, then they're not, then they're great again. I know amps can sound different everytime you plug in, so I'd prefer a longer=term trial period.

Plus, I've never seen or read someone burn through tubes so quickly, so I question whether the amp is performing properly. I don't mean to be harsh or negative, and I respect the amount of time and effort than went into those very "detailed" posts, but the opinions seems to change so much that I'm not sure what I'm walking away with.

I understand. Sound is very subjective so it's hard to quantify. I know that I was happy with a mixed quad of Tung-Sols (6L6/EL34). I still have a couple of quads left of the SED =C= & the Tung-Sol will be what I go to after that.

Just my 2 cents.

swbo101 said:
I understand. Sound is very subjective so it's hard to quantify. I know that I was happy with a mixed quad of Tung-Sols (6L6/EL34). I still have a couple of quads left of the SED =C= & the Tung-Sol will be what I go to after that.

Just my 2 cents.

I still have a quad of =C=. They are my favorites for the Mark IV. STR 420s are also good in a IV (it was the power tube around which the IV was developed). I was also very pleasantly surprised with a quad of Mesa 5881s (Russian). It's a different flavor than a standard 6L6: not quite as bold or articulate, but very pleasant.

Fine-tuning an amp with tubes is useful, but IMO, it's easy to become overly obsessed with them.

swbo101 said:

Just my 2 cents.
Yeah this

I stopped using SEDs a few years ago when the price went thru the roof. Bummer cause they were great sounding tubes - especially in the rectos. I really love the Tungs Sol 6L6/EL34 combo in my Mark III

Rhoads said:
:( Maybe i'm late on the news, but i wanted to buy some tubes today on that site ww.tubedepot.com ( i always buy my tubes there) and i read this message "SED (Winged 'C') As of February 2014, the SED factory is not producing glass vacuum tubes. This is indeed a very sad thing as SED tubes are some of the best tubes out there. Should production recommence, we will let you know. " :( :(

NNNNOOOOOO What i'm doing now ! that's a sad day for the Mark Lover like me :lol:

NOS:
6L6GC RCA blackplate
6L6GC General Electric
6L6GC Sylvania
6L6GC Mullard
6L6GC Phillips
6L6GC Mazda

There is a Reflektor-marketed Svetlana 6L6GC tube that is very nice and worth looking into -- it is similar but doesn't have the winged C logo on it. I was very happy with the bass extension and smooth high end in these tubes when I was running a 6L6 amp.

wildschwein said:
There is a Reflektor-marketed Svetlana 6L6GC tube that is very nice and worth looking into -- it is similar but doesn't have the winged C logo on it. I was very happy with the bass extension and smooth high end in these tubes when I was running a 6L6 amp.
Thanks, I was looking in to them also.

Rhoads said:

Stupid question but can another manufacturer make these? I ask because in dealing with vintage parts there always seems to be a market for old parts and I noticed with some parts no longer available, other companies started making them...

As a thought, are tubes something that another company could remake and sell? Seems like there's many tubes that we all need that are no longer available... Can't some other company start making them? Like reverse engineer them?

Back