King Snake Investment

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RnR

Reaction score
Don't know what forum to put this in but here goes...

Local store got a King Snake in. I have a couple Boogies I gig with and can't justify the need to get this gig-wise, but would it just be a good investment value-wise?

Help me make the argument...

In my opinion it would probably hold value over the years, but I doubt it would fetch any collector value any time soon. Take a look at prices on very old boogies. You can sometimes see them on ebay, and while they do hold monetary value they don't really appreciate like an old Marshall or Fender would. If you like the amp buy it but don't expect to get rich on it someday.

I tend to agree that there is likely a limited collector value on this one, as production is said to be limited (but in the many hundreds - if I recall the information correctly). - much more than the last 'limited' run of 80 40th anniversary hardwood mark 5's in walnut and Sapale - although I was able to resell a combo at a slight premium many have since resold under the 4K original asking price.

2500 King Snakes are being made. If Mesa made more like 400, like a pre-400 recto or a Coli C+ or ++, I would say collectable, 25 large, tough to call, Mark V's hold their value fairly well compared to Marshall, Krank, Ampeg and on down the line though. There will be a market initially for the K.S. otherwise Mesa would've recycled one of the other Marks. As much as the Coliseum IIC+ is coveted, if Mesa made 2500 more, even at $2500, hmmm, wait a minute, maybe that's not a bad idea.

Markedman said:
2500 King Snakes are being made. If Mesa made more like 400, like a pre-400 recto or a Coli C+ or ++, I would say collectable, 25 large, tough to call, Mark V's hold their value fairly well compared to Marshall, Krank, Ampeg and on down the line though. There will be a market initially for the K.S. otherwise Mesa would've recycled one of the other Marks. As much as the Coliseum IIC+ is coveted, if Mesa made 2500 more, even at $2500, hmmm, wait a minute, maybe that's not a bad idea.

600 King Snakes were made, WORLDWIDE. Not sure where you got 2500 from...

Keep in mind, unlike the MARK V LTD, this is a different circuit rather than just a cab upgrade. Its also in an original spec cab, with original spec chassis. This is more than a Mark I - its both Carlos' Snakeskin amp (Input 2) and his later Mark I (Input 1) in the same amp.

I took delivery of #257 the other day,...killer amp,..a lot of dough,...yes. I'm still biting my nails thinking about the vintage amps I could have gotten for the price,..because 100% the value on those go up

only gripes,...I can't afford another and it IS a one channel amp

Thinking about it as an investment,....Randall's signature is smeared smudged,..off the serial tag anyway (which is a bummer) since we're talking investment. I suppose that's another gripe?...

Great vintage boogie tones though which are my favorite. Randall did a great job on the couple circuit tweaks, the dual presence switch is like having a whole separate amp.

PMcC

600 is the official figure and it is final. Production has ceased. They were sold out in just a few days. I was lucky enough to get #9 . Randall and Carlos kept #1 through 7 . Investment? I have never had a Boogie not give me more than I gave in dollars. My favorite and go to amps are my Mark 2C+s and Mark 3 Red stripes and blue stripes but the King Snake does some pretty cool stuff but what Boogie doesnt. Randall , Carlos and Doug West really put their heads together on this and I think it came out great.

you mean sold out to the dealers, because they are in stock everywhere.

I can't see it being a huge hit, being so limited in what it does compared to the rest of the boogie line.

I was totally bummed to realized that an AB pedal won't work,...I understand it's not recommended, but I came up with some good settings that work across the 2 inputs that would be handy on gigs. I've tried 2 AB boxes and apparently just plugging into both jacks shorts one side out so it's one or the other.

RnR said:
Don't know what forum to put this in but here goes...

Local store got a King Snake in. I have a couple Boogies I gig with and can't justify the need to get this gig-wise, but would it just be a good investment value-wise?

Help me make the argument...

You'd be far better served investing in the stock market.

Especially if you saw the Guitar Center PRS fire sale 2 weeks ago. I feel sorry for anyone trying to sell a used PRS right now.

Back