Just bought a Mark II C+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephan

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first post, I just picked up a Mark II C+ from Guitar Center and I need to verify that it is indeed a C+. There is no "+" written in marker above the power cord, there is the MB initials though. I did the return effects loop test and it passed.

Has anyone ever seen a C+ that didn't have the "+" written on it?

Here are some pics, let me know what you think...Thanks!

The serial number fall in the C+ production range. That and the fact that it passed the loop test I would safely say its a C+. I've heard of factory pluses once or twice that didn't have the + above the power cord. I don't know why this is maybe someone more knowledgeable that I knows the answer to that question. Enjoy the amp :D

That is good news! I would love to know if it was just an oversight at Mesa back in the day or what?

Anything else I an check for on the amp?

Probably an oversight, that was a lot of pluses to put above power cords. There should be a date written on the bottom of the chassis along with some 12ax7's. I'm guessing that date would be 10/84 or 11/84. You should be able to see it with a small mirror and a flashlight if you don't want to go through the hassle of removing the chassis, although that would give you even more info. I don't really think there's any question it's a C+. How dose it sound?

Read this by BoogieBabies. It will tell you everything you want to know. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=18184

Buster Leggs said:
Probably an oversight, that was a lot of pluses to put above power cords. There should be a date written on the bottom of the chassis along with some 12ax7's. I'm guessing that date would be 10/84 or 11/84. You should be able to see it with a small mirror and a flashlight if you don't want to go through the hassle of removing the chassis, although that would give you even more info. I don't really think there's any question it's a C+. How dose it sound?
It was made in 8/84

It sounds great! I've only had it for a couple days and I'm still learning hot to tweak it. I've never had an amp that was so sensitive to the tone knobs and settings.

It was $1300 and I found it online. The store was about an hour away from home, they sent me some pics and I purchased it online, they said that people were inquiring about the amp since they got it in a couple days before. In hind sight I wish I would have asked if they would knock anything off the price but I didn't want to lose it.

7FVELfIs.jpg

$1300 is a good price-look at what they're selling for on e-bay. They take a little time to dial in but they sound phenomenal once you find the sweet spot (s).

Boogiebabies said:
Do the loop test to be sure or take a picture of the preamp for me.

Did the loop test, it passed, no change in sound when plugged into the effects loop return and changing the lead drive knob in lead mode.

I will take a picture of the preamp when I get the courage to take it apart.

Stephan said:
I will take a picture of the preamp when I get the courage to take it apart.

It's easy to take apart.

1) Disconnect the reverb cables from the rear. They are underneath the chassis behind the power tubes.
(You might want to take the power tubes out to be on the safe side but it's not necessary if you are careful).

2.) Unplug the speaker from the jack on the rear

3) Remove the 4 mounting screws up top. (Take them completely out)

4) Put your hands under the trannys, lift slightly and slide it out the back.

Voila You're done!

Note: No cooling fan due to it being a 60 watter so no fan to unplug

Nice. Just stick an EQ pedal in the loop and you'll get about the same desired results of one with the graphic EQ.

danyeo1 said:
Nice. Just stick an EQ pedal in the loop and you'll get about the same desired results of one with the graphic EQ.

It's funny because I've been using a $30 Joyo 5 band EQ pedal in the loop and it does sound amazing.

Buster Leggs said:
The serial number fall in the C+ production range. That and the fact that it passed the loop test I would safely say its a C+. I've heard of factory pluses once or twice that didn't have the + above the power cord. I don't know why this is maybe someone more knowledgeable that I knows the answer to that question. Enjoy the amp :D

I'm thinking this is a Mark IIC, not a Mark IIC+.

My Mark IIC+ says 11/84, its serial number starts with "134".

ReverbIsANoun said:
Buster Leggs said:

Mesa Boogied confirmed this is IIC+ in the post above yours, it passed the loop test and the serial number is in the range for factory IIC+'s, so why do you think this is a IIC?

Stephan said:
ReverbIsANoun said:
Buster Leggs said:

Mesa Boogied confirmed this is IIC+ in the post above yours, it passed the loop test and the serial number is in the range for factory IIC+'s, so why do you think this is a IIC?
Because he doesn't know any better.
Stephan can you read the pre-amp boards model number? I couldn't read it, too blurry.

Latest posts

Back