Rare 1981 "Boogie logo" 4x12 eminence MS12 metal grill

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halebox

Reaction score
I just picked this up. The guy said they were original 150 watt eminence so Im assuming MS12's? What year would this be? Its a closed back and sounds great. Measures 18 deep 27 wide 28 tall. EDIT ok the speakers are 1981 pic added. Speaker number 12557 678119 Heres a clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eN7a7zPUaw&feature=youtu.be

This one is not mine but for reference

Got it pretty cheap and just dated speakers to 81. Are the later bottom cabs 18 inches deep or 16? sounds good with the coliseum.

halebox said:
Got it pretty cheap and just dated speakers to 81. Are the later bottom cabs 18 inches deep or 16? sounds good with the coliseum.
Pretty sure all the metal grille cabs are all the same depth.
The only difference being the sides of the bottom cabs aren't cut back at the top (aka slanted back). And of course the top panel is as wide as the bottom panel.

Sorry to bump in here fellas ! New here .

What were these cabs called please , I practiced with a guy years ago that that one of those with a Mark combo that I don t know , maybe a Mark 3 & this was a killer guitar sound !

sprocket said:

What were these cabs called please , I practiced with a guy years ago that that one of those with a Mark combo that I don t know , maybe a Mark 3 & this was a killer guitar sound !
A lot of people just call them metal grill cabinets.
Different speaker loadings will change the sound.
Usually the top two speakers would be open back, while the bottom pair are closed back.

MichaelC4 said:
sprocket said:

A lot of people just call them metal grill cabinets.
Different speaker loadings will change the sound.
Usually the top two speakers would be open back, while the bottom pair are closed back.

Thanx mate , appreciated the comeback .

I remember it was a semi open back but not much more than that . Loudest **** I ever heard ! lol

For what I remember these were [retty heavy , anyone knows the weight of these cabs please !

Were they built from 3/4 inch Birch Ply also !

Thanx have a nice one .

sprocket said:
What were these cabs called...
They were called the "half-back" cabinets. From the factory they came closed bottom and open top for the 2x12s and I believe closed top for the 4x12s. The board to close the 2x12 was a special order. Mine were loaded with C90s in the top and EV12L in the bottom. And yes, the 2x12s are heavy, especially with the EV.

Thanx buddy ! Wish I bought one before one of my friend sold his before I knew he had one for sale .

One day . I m not ready anyways .

Any online specs on those beasts !

kdorsey said:
sprocket said:
They were called the "half-back" cabinets. From the factory they came closed bottom and open top for the 2x12s and I believe closed top for the 4x12s. The board to close the 2x12 was a special order. Mine were loaded with C90s in the top and EV12L in the bottom. And yes, the 2x12s are heavy, especially with the EV.
The 4x12's (as well as the 2x12's) came in both open top and closed top.
The top panel was and add on/ option.
Most "Bottom" 4x12's (square side panels not slanted) came with closed tops by default.

sprocket said:
For what I remember these were [retty heavy , anyone knows the weight of these cabs please !

They were not all made with Birch plywood.
Many if not most of Mesa cabs from the 80's (and some into the early 90's) were made with Luan and other plywoods.
It's a myth that Mesa always used birch or baltic birch.

gts said:
kdorsey said:
sprocket said:
The 4x12's (as well as the 2x12's) came in both open top and closed top.
The top panel was and add on/ option.
Most "Bottom" 4x12's (square side panels not slanted) came with closed tops by default.

sprocket said:

They were not all made with Birch plywood.
Many if not most of Mesa cabs from the 80's (and some into the early 90's) were made with Luan and other plywoods.
It's a myth that Mesa always used birch or baltic birch.

Thanx , appreciated , I m interested on those cabs , they always had something special on my end , why I don t know .

I keep learning , a great place to learn by the way !

It's been posted on the board a few times but various speakers (and/ or combo of speakers) were used in these cabs.
And as we all know some are heavier than others.

Most commonly found in these cabs were
Electro Voice EV-12L
Eminence MS-12
Eminence VS-12
Celestion C-90

There were others too, mostly different Celestion models but the above are most common.

Vigo1999 said:
wondering if one of you guys have the dimensions for the 2x12 (both versions) and 4x12 metal grill cabs??

thanks in advance :D

Both versions of a metal grille 2x12?
To the best of my knowledge there was only one.
Unless you are talking about the modern 2x12 with the cloth covered grille?

This might help a bit , but I don t know the dimensions & weight : http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b140/Skattruggles/PC211254.jpg

Is that the one that you meant in there vigo !

To add to the post from vigo , I think he meant both the old metal grill , the 2X12 & the 4X12 .

gts said:
Vigo1999 said:
wondering if one of you guys have the dimensions for the 2x12 (both versions) and 4x12 metal grill cabs??

thanks in advance :D

Both versions of a metal grille 2x12?
To the best of my knowledge there was only one.
Unless you are talking about the modern 2x12 with the cloth covered grille?

Hey G.!

actually i never knew also in my 25 years or so as mesa user, but a few months back i read that in this thread and keeps me thinking . . .

http://www.forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63285&p=439388&hilit=metal+grill#p439388

the one at the right (pic on last post) clearly looks bigger or my eyes are fooling me??

sprocket said:
This might help a bit , but I don t know the dimensions & weight : http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b140/Skattruggles/PC211254.jpg

To add to the post from vigo , I think he meant both the old metal grill , the 2X12 & the 4X12 .

Hey Rocket! thanks!!

looks like those are different also. would you please take a look at the link that i posted . . . what do you think?? are those different or it's just me??

Vigo1999 said:
sprocket said:

Hey Rocket! thanks!!

looks like those are different also. would you please take a look at the link that i posted . . . what do you think?? are those different or it's just me??

I ll check it out . Thanx for the link .

Back