MKII Glitches?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrazerB

Reaction score
Hello All,

I recently taken delivery of a MKIIA (in spite of it saying MKIIB on the valve layout label, I'm assured by Mesa that from the S/N its a IIA). I'm just getting to grips with it, but I have to say it's like no other amp I've used, and I've been playing since Adam was a lad. Its been checked over and revalved/biased by my Amp tech and is reported to be in good health. It appears totally stock apart from a Celestion (Black Shadow labelled) speaker which I prefer over EVM12L's from previous experience. it has no graphic e.q. but it does have reverb
There are a couple of glitches that I'd really welcome some advice about. Firstly Volume one seems to have it all going off from 7-10, whilst the tone is sweet there, it would be nice to have a more gradual and therefore controllable build up, is this a 'Log' pot? if so would replacing it with the same value but Linear help?
Secondly (and kind of related) with Volume 1 up at that sweet spot between 7 or 8, I'm running Master 1 and Lead Master at around 1 to 1.5. , if have an inate feeling that no gain volume/gain pot should have to be set that low!, My feeling is that if Volume 1 could be more linear, it would make the whole thing less twitchy, and potentially smoother to control. I read with interest about a Master 1 mod, which, given that on the mucky channel all three pots seem to be interlinked, may address this. Unfortunately I'm ashamed to admit that I couldn't understand the Schematic, would it be possible for someone to publish and idiots guide to this Mod?
I need to replace the reverb tank which rumbles when you walk past the amp, bit is perfectly quite with a replacement test one that I used, and aside from that the footswitch bangs when changing from L to R is a bit disconcerting, but it is charactful! Sorry to Drone On but any advice would be Gratefully and Cheerfully received!!

In my experience with Mark III's, I'd say the amp's behavior sounds normal. I can't help on any mods, as I've just learned to live with volume knob quirks.
I had to resort to a reverb pedal because the amp bounces around on the (crappy, horrible, flimsy) stage when we are doing the Big Show.

Hi There,

Thanks for that, I'm absolutely sure that you're right and it is normal behaviour, and, as you say, 'quirky'. It just seems to me to be making it a little harder work than it need be to unlock the superb tone that's in there, and as far as the reverb goes, lets face it, a biscuit tin full of springs is always going to be interesting to say the least!
Thanks Again,

BW

FrazerB

I own an early Mark IIA and yes the volume controls as well as the tone controls are very quirky. It can take a while to find good tones, but once you find them it's all good. As far as the footswitch issue, it's a given on these amps that they will make that pop sound, however if you stop playing while hitting the switch it's barely noticeable or even non-existent. These amps have amazing clean tones and with a basic mod to the lead channel they can be awesome all around.

Please find below two recommended settings taken from the Mark IIA manual. The sweet spot between 7 and 8 for Volume 1 is valid for all Marks, except for the II-A. Mike Bendinelli told me to try Vol1 at 4 and to go high with the Mast1.

1) Good basic setting I (Manual quick start)
Vol1: 4
Treb: 9
Bass: 3
Mid: 3
Mast1: 2
LD: 7
LM: 1
Pres: 7
Rev: 4
EQ: out

2) Good basic setting II (Manual alternative)
Vol1: 6
Treb: 7
Bass: 4
Mid: 0
LD: 8

Regards

I have a 1979 Mark IIa head.
I have noticed that the pop sound, when hitting the switch, goes away when you put volume1 on 10, I like the way the amp sounds that way!
I'm just not such a clean kinda guy. :D that sounds dirty...

Does anyone know why Mesa doesn't post the Mark II-A manual in their website?

I remember they uploaded it for a while but, later, it was removed. Any glitches in the manual?

igfraso said:
Please find below two recommended settings taken from the Mark IIA manual. The sweet spot between 7 and 8 for Volume 1 is valid for all Marks, except for the II-A. Mike Bendinelli told me to try Vol1 at 4 and to go high with the Mast1.

1) Good basic setting I (Manual quick start)
Vol1: 4
Treb: 9
Bass: 3
Mid: 3
LD: 7

2) Good basic setting II (Manual alternative)
Vol1: 6
Treb: 7
Bass: 4
Mid: 0
LD: 8

Regards

Did Mike say why this setting was better for the Mk II's Daniel?

I typically run my MKIIA volume 1 around 7-8. The clean has a little dirt and the lead channel screams (lead drive around 7-8). Using 4 on volume 1 would give a very clean sound on channel 1, the lead channel would be mildly distorted. Just play with Volume 1 and see what yours does. The treble works best around 6-8 for me, with mid and bass around 2 - depending on the speaker and if gain boost is engaged. I move presence to taste, depends on speaker and room.

l tried the factory settings, but found that the way I had set it to be a bit more pleasing to my ears. I am also taking the speaker into consideration; 12's and 15's sound different, and need to be EQ'd differently.

V1>7 T>6 B>5 M>3.5 M1>2 LD>6.5 LM>2 R>2 P>3

Yes, it is loud.

FrazerB said:
Hello All,

I recently taken delivery of a MKIIA (in spite of it saying MKIIB on the valve layout label, I'm assured by Mesa that from the S/N its a IIA). I'm just getting to grips with it, but I have to say it's like no other amp I've used, and I've been playing since Adam was a lad. Its been checked over and revalved/biased by my Amp tech and is reported to be in good health. It appears totally stock apart from a Celestion (Black Shadow labelled) speaker which I prefer over EVM12L's from previous experience. it has no graphic e.q. but it does have reverb
There are a couple of glitches that I'd really welcome some advice about. Firstly Volume one seems to have it all going off from 7-10, whilst the tone is sweet there, it would be nice to have a more gradual and therefore controllable build up, is this a 'Log' pot? if so would replacing it with the same value but Linear help?
Secondly (and kind of related) with Volume 1 up at that sweet spot between 7 or 8, I'm running Master 1 and Lead Master at around 1 to 1.5. , if have an inate feeling that no gain volume/gain pot should have to be set that low!, My feeling is that if Volume 1 could be more linear, it would make the whole thing less twitchy, and potentially smoother to control. I read with interest about a Master 1 mod, which, given that on the mucky channel all three pots seem to be interlinked, may address this. Unfortunately I'm ashamed to admit that I couldn't understand the Schematic, would it be possible for someone to publish and idiots guide to this Mod?
I need to replace the reverb tank which rumbles when you walk past the amp, bit is perfectly quite with a replacement test one that I used, and aside from that the footswitch bangs when changing from L to R is a bit disconcerting, but it is charactful! Sorry to Drone On but any advice would be Gratefully and Cheerfully received!!

How is your "relationship" with your new Mk II coming along? It's been about 4 weeks since getting my 1x15 combo, and I can't walk past it without firing it up and letting my Les Paul have it's way... I have been trying different settings, and am always amazed at the variety of sounds that you get by a slight twist of a knob. I highly suggest getting a volume pedal, and giving the Master Volume Trick a shot; you can really get some great tones without having to go deaf in the process. Or pissing off the neighborhood.

Since I'm running in stereo with my Mk V, I've opted to have both amps clean, and get my crunch from a Xotic SL Drive; although in all honesty, I like the straight sound of the Mk II better without any effects. On occasion, I will do a Wet/Dry setup with the II as the master, and the tones are nothing short of amazing!

Hope you're having as much fun as I am!! Rock on!!

Back