Mark I Owners-talk to me, man!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greeny

Reaction score
Hello - I am an old Les Paul Stnd/PAF thru an old Marshall guy about to buy a used 1977 Mesa Boogie Mark I 60 watt EQ model, no reverb, with a JBL. I'm not able to hear the amp before purchasing - but I've heard great things about these earlier Boogies - what can you all tell me about the overall tone and reliability of this model? I know that tone is really tough to describe - but any wisdom and tone description you can shed would be excellent. Thanks.

greeny said:
Hello - I am an old Les Paul Stnd/PAF thru an old Marshall guy about to buy a used 1977 Mesa Boogie Mark I 60 watt EQ model, no reverb, with a JBL. I'm not able to hear the amp before purchasing - but I've heard great things about these earlier Boogies - what can you all tell me about the overall tone and reliability of this model? I know that tone is really tough to describe - but any wisdom and tone description you can shed would be excellent. Thanks.

You have heard Santana? That is what a Mark I sounds like.

Are you sure you want a single channel amp? Sure you can do without reverb? I don't believe the early Mark Is had effects loops, so you might not be able to use an external reverb.

Supposedly they were built like tanks.

You can buy a brand new one with reverb, warranty and effects loop for $1050.

The Mark I is a collectors item and its value will only go up. Mine sounds great and can be made to sound even better with the right tubes and speakers without disturbing it's collectability. With an a/b switch and a switch for the foot controlled boost it can be used as a two channel amp. I was very pleased with the sound even with its cheap old Chinese tubes. It sounds even better with the Telefunkens and GE black plates that I have in it now. I have an EV speaker known for a somewhat darker and smother sound then the JBL. I would probably buy it regardless of the JBL because that is easy enough to change and it will make a huge difference. I just got a Fane 100watt alnico I am trying that out, even darker and smoother. Mine has reverb but I don't use it or if I do very little. The 77 should have an effects loop mine does I think that is standard. I have a bunch of Marshalls and I still think the Mesa has a very cool sound. 8)

Back