Half back cab story with happy ending

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyhawk13

Reaction score
I've been on a no-spending kick since I lost my position at work in 2009, and took a 46% paycut. I still browse craiglsit, for some masochistic reason.

I found a rather rough 4X12 bottom halfback for $200.00 in May, and had a real fit! The guy said it was loaded with all MC-90 Black shadows, but the pics told a different story. The top speakers were correct, but the bottom speakers were smooth, no ridges like the celestions or eminence. :shock: Could they really be EV's?

I thought long and hard about it for about a day, and emailed the guy, but got no response. Just as well, I need to save my money for KITCHEN cabinets.

I saw the same cab on craigslist 3 weeks later listed for $350.00, the new seller opened up the bottom to show off those monster magnets of the EV 12L's. It's still a steal, I told myself, but I shouldn't do it.

I won 1st place in a local art contest & got a nice check to go along with the ribbon. :D I called my wife, and she said "Great! now you can et that cabinet!"
She meant KITCHEN cabinet. :(

A week or 2 goes by, and it it was relisted for $280.00, with 1 replaced speaker. I talked it over with the wife, grabbed my son for some extra muscle, and now it's in my house undermeath my slant halfback.
The replacement speaker looks brand new, and it has the proper black shadow label. Probably a refurb. I got to keep the old speaker, and it only needs a wire tag replaced.

How cool is that?

BoogieStack.jpg

The heavy cardboard with the metal terminals for soldering the speaker wires.
There was an angry girlfriend involved in the transaction before mine. She accidentally ripped out the speaker wires going after something that fell iin the open cavity. The guy who bought it first, and sold it to me, just bought another speaker instead of trying to fix it. He threw it in the deal, and it looks like an easy fix.

If the voice coil isn't torn then a speaker shop could repair it for you for cheap since it's a pretty minor fix. Great score!! Glad those EV's are intact!

Back