50 caliber plus problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fret Blisters

Reaction score
new to the board...I have a problem that I am hoping someone can help to solve. I can play a few minutes through my 50 caliber plus and then the sounds drops way out (fizzels) as though it is being grounded out. I can rock the standby switch and sometimes this will allow me to play a few seconds to a few minutes more. Following the troubleshooting guide on Mesa Boogie's website, I replaced the 6L6s and this did not cure the problem at all. It seems to have this problem in clean and lead channels. It has performed well in the past 5 years but developed this problem probably a year ago and has just been sitting. Any help or troubleshooting techniques will be greatly appreciated. Shane

Fret Blisters said:
new to the board...I have a problem that I am hoping someone can help to solve. I can play a few minutes through my 50 caliber plus and then the sounds drops way out (fizzels) as though it is being grounded out. I can rock the standby switch and sometimes this will allow me to play a few seconds to a few minutes more. Following the troubleshooting guide on Mesa Boogie's website, I replaced the 6L6s and this did not cure the problem at all. It seems to have this problem in clean and lead channels. It has performed well in the past 5 years but developed this problem probably a year ago and has just been sitting. Any help or troubleshooting techniques will be greatly appreciated. Shane

I suspect the V1 12AX7. That is common to both channels and is subjected to the most wear and tear.

Also, I highly recommend buying a nice NOS tube for the V1 socket. I've found a 12AY7 mellows the nasty character of the 50 Cal+, making it more like a classic Boogie. Mine sounds more like a Mark III now. You cuold also use a 5751, GE JAN 5751 go for about $18 with military quality.

Back