Recommendations for Mark I settings? Les Paul, Strat, Tele

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdeangelis

Reaction score
I just purchased my first Boogie, a Mark I reissue. I'm excited but a little intimidated by all the tonal possibilities. Can anyone recommend some basic settings for popular tones. I'm play a Les Paul, a Strat, and a Tele, fortunately not all at the same time. Any suggestion are appreciated.

I have a Reissue Mark I. I tried el34's in it and the woofy bass was much better. Try turning up the master volume first, then the ch1 andch2 volumes. This gives you more power tube tone and less preamp tube tone.

Is there a Mark I Tones for Dummies? The Reto comes with a couple of pages of recommended tone settings. This is the kind of thing I'm looking for.

fdeangelis said:
Is there a Mark I Tones for Dummies? The Reto comes with a couple of pages of recommended tone settings. This is the kind of thing I'm looking for.
The Mesa Engineering site still has the original manuals as PDF files, also for the Mark I. See also this thread for the Grailtone database of user settings:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=56

Mine is in storage at the moment, but I run the volumes around 7 with the master to match the room. The bass ~3, middle~7 & treble ~5. The presence is around 5 and the reverb to taste. I usually play a Gretsch 6120-60 or Historic '56 LP through it.

I have schematics for some simple mods that Gil Ayan came up with to make the bass less "farty", smooth the distortion and improve the reverb. It was the first thing I did when I got my MK I RI along with re-tubing. E-mail me if you'd like me to send you the mods.

My only complaint about my MK I is how much it weighs.

Back