NAD Mark III Puple stripe X by cord? updated with pics

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topalchohol

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm back in Boogieland after purchasing another MKIII. This is a 1986 purple stripe long head simulclass, reverb, GEQ in white tolex with matching 2x12 vertical cab. In pretty darn good condition. I like this amp much more than the Blue stripe I had before. It is less bright, slightly less gain (but still plenty), and more dynamic cleans. Sounds much more like a 2C+ to my ears. It has a small red X above power cord. Any ideas? It has the normal trannies in it, I.E. non export. :D

ebycrl22012026.jpg

ebycrl22012030.jpg

ebycrl22012029.jpg

ebycrl22012033.jpg

ebycrl22012034.jpg

Never tried a purple stripe -- but I loves me the Blues' MK III....even more than my Mark IV.

Welcome to the Board, TopAlcohol. 8)

Good pick on the Mark III 'purple stripe'. I agree that it's definitely less hairy sounding then the 'blue stripe'--and even my 'red'. It's definitely got a softer vibe going on, as you said slightly less gainy ( w/ still plenty enough gain on tap ). I think you're right as well on the cleans in that they're a little more dynamic and responsive--definitely not by leaps and bounds but enough to notice the overall response in each circuit of the amps. Try messing around with the tubes and notice you can change the character of the amp quite a bit. They're real sensative in a good way. I'm not sure about the 'red X', though. Take a picture of it and post it when you get the chance. Maybe it had the III(+) mod?

My black stripe doesn't actually have a stripe, its a black X, is that the same thing as the stripe? The serial number does date it as a black stripe.

I also switched from a blue stripe III to a loaded purple long head, and I feel the same way you do about it. My blue always had a fizzy character to it that I couldn't fully get used to. My purple has none of that. Plus, a previous owner had done the R2 mod, which I never got around to doing on my blue, and I totally dig R2 on this amp! I recently replaced the tubes that were in it when I bought it (who knows how old they were) with a pair of Ruby EL34BSTRs and TAD 6L6WGCSTRs, and regained lots of authority in the midrange while smoothing out the high end.

Yeah, I loved my blue stripe, but I also think it maybe needed some service as well as this amp is much more quiet. The quietest high gainer I've ever played. As far as if it was upgraded, maybe, but judging by the dust on the under side of it , I doubt it. I'll see if I can get pics up tomorrow. I'll have to pull the chassis out and check C27 + C30 values sometime. I'm guessing that the "X" was made a long time ago by the look of it, either at the factory or by someone trying to fool someone into believing it was a 2C+. Production was in November 1986, Serial 18529, and has older Mesa Boogie Ltd. face plate. I confirmed Simulclass by looking at the transformer as it has the full/1/2 label on switch on front and is loaded with all 6L6's. My blue stripe simul had el-34's in outer sockets, and as an el-34 guy I am shocked that I prefer the all 6L6 sound better! Thanks for all the help and comments!

I added the pics to the original post. I included a pic of my home made footswitch which I converted out of an old a/b/y box. :)

Congrats..nice rig! I'm partial to the cream tolex as well. I know I've seen that rig somewheres before...
4.gif

The 'X' that you were talking about now appears to be tech initials 'SC'.

There's a tech list floating around somewhere that has a list of all the techs on it. I can't find it at the moment.

Ah, I see the SC now that you pointed it out. Makes the most sense as well. Yep, I love the cream tolex. Pure class. I bought the rig at a guitar center here in the twin cities. Thanks for your help and knowledge! :D

That is gorgeous. Yours is definitely cleaner than mine is, and of course that matching cab is the bomb. Otherwise it's the same amp as mine.

Thanks. Remember, it isn't how clean it looks, its how filthy it sounds. :wink:

topalchohol said:
Ah, I see the SC now that you pointed it out. Makes the most sense as well. Yep, I love the cream tolex. Pure class. I bought the rig at a guitar center here in the twin cities. Thanks for your help and knowledge! :D

No problem, mate. :D

topalchohol said:
Thanks. Remember, it isn't how clean it looks, its how filthy it sounds. :wink:

And it gets down-n-dirty filllllthy. 8)

Exactly. SC = SimulClass is what I guessed as well.
You could check if it was serviced at Petaluma and the mod was done. Give a call to Mesa or Mike Bendinelli directly. They keep the service records.

Back