Mesa Maverick 1x12 Prototype vs regular production

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronsky22

Reaction score
Not too familiar with Mavericks but someone is selling his Maverick Prototype for $450 in very good to mint condition. What's the difference among the proto and regular production?
Is it a good buy price wise?
Thanks in advance.

Best if you post in the "Modern Era" forum.

Anyway, yes, I think that's a good price because seller on Craiglist in my area (No. California, Bay Area) was selling a Maverick 1-12" combo, $1200. I don't recall if it included a road case but it was in excellent condition and this seller's selling point was "Its a prototype and only 79[?] made!"

I'm not certain but the prototype uses a 5AR4 rectifier tube only while the "modern" Mavericks have a switch you could select either tube or solid state rectifier.

Boy if this prototype has tone stack controls of an early Mark Series (I, II, => Fenderish like) then that would be a dream amp for me! I don't really like the interactive tone controls. Supposedly you get more versatility but to me its a bit on the learning curve while a Fenderish tone control is fairly intuitive.

I had a prototype Maverick that looked like a DC series. It had beautiful tone and the ability to switch between silicone and or tube rectifier. I sold it and kind of regret it; but when you have 4 Mesas and a bunch of Fenders it's best to do whatever you need to do to keep the peace at home.

Back