Mark 1 reissue-what can you tell me???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greeny

Reaction score
Hello-I am considering purchasing a 90 or 91 Mark 1 reissue that has some mods - what can you all tell me about these reissues? I know it's very subjective - and I am a user of old Marshalls - but how would you describe the tone, construction, and reliability of these Mark 1 reissues? Close to the original, or very different?
Any info would be helpful - thanks to all!

greeny said:
Hello-I am considering purchasing a 90 or 91 Mark 1 reissue that has some mods - what can you all tell me about these reissues? I know it's very subjective - and I am a user of old Marshalls - but how would you describe the tone, construction, and reliability of these Mark 1 reissues? Close to the original, or very different?

I recently bought a 2001 mark I reissue. If the one you are looking at has mods, listen to it first. If you like the sound buy it. It's more like the originals than the first reissues. The bass is woofy if turned past 1. It can sound close to a MArshall but it's not a MArshall it's a Mesa and sounds like a Mesa. It's built like a tank and weighs the same as a tank! I like being able to use 6l6's 6v6's and el334's in the power section. I haven't tried el34's yet and I like the 6l6's better than the 6v6's. Did I mention its LOUD? It's 100 watts and it's a LOUD 100 watts. I'm thinking about running a hotplate on mine so that I can push the power section a little harder without going deaf. I really like the small size. So far it's a keeper

greeny said:

Unless the modifications were done by someone "known", I'd stay clear.

Also, you are aware it is a SINGLE channel amp?

the mod was done at the mesa factory; i don't know exactly what the mod is - just that is supposedly more "dumble-like". also, according to the description it does have a vol 1 and 2 - push/pull - which makes it a channel switching amp, yes? If there are any other details you know of regarding the early 90s reissues, please feel free to email me. thanks for your response.

The push/pulls just operate the gain boost (EQ bypass) and a bright switch. It doesn't make it a channel switching amp. I'd like to know what the mods are. I've had a few tweaks done to my MK I, but I'd be curious to know what the factory came up with. do you have any way to document what was done?

Back