Mark IV preamp cocktail

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giantstepjoe

Reaction score
I was hoping some of you Mark IV guys can give me some direction in putting together a great sounding set of preamp tubes on a budget. My Mark came with all jjs in the preamp section. I thinking of trying the tungsol reissue in v1 for starters.

Thanks guys. I'm surprised I haven't gotten more responses on this- There are many Mark IV users here. I guess I'll stick with the JJs for now.

Here's what I'm using in my IVA:

V1 12AX7 - Sylvania JAN12ax7WN (black plate)
V2 Tungsram 12AX7 (older)
V3 12AX7 - EI silver pin
V4 Mesa 12AT7
V5 12AX7 - (JJ balanced)

Power Amp Tubes
pair #1 (inside pair) 6L6GC - Svelana SED-winged "C"
pair#2 (outside pair) 6L6GC - Svelana SED-winged "C"

Tuna141 said:
Here's what I'm using in my IVA:

V1 12AX7 - Sylvania JAN12ax7WN (black plate)
V2 Tungsram 12AX7 (older)
V3 12AX7 - EI silver pin
V4 Mesa 12AT7
V5 12AX7 - (JJ balanced)

Power Amp Tubes
pair #1 (inside pair) 6L6GC - Svelana SED-winged "C"
pair#2 (outside pair) 6L6GC - Svelana SED-winged "C"

Thanks for the response! Can you tell me more about how you arrived at this grouping? Did you do a lot of experimenting? Were any of these very expensive?

V1 - Vintage Amperex. Bright, articulate and balanced
V2 - vintage Tung Sol. Smooth, vintage, balanced
V3 - Vintage Tung Sol.
V4 - Vintage Amperex.
V5 - Mesa

Outer sockets - Mesa 5881. Smooth vintage tone
Inner sockets - STR420. Smooth vintage tone
I run the power tubes in Simul, Triode.

I am not a metal or high gain player, although there's still plenty on tap. I run Rhy 2 Gain between 6 and 8, pushed for clean tones and pulled for thick edge-of-breakup crunch tones. The guitar volume is used to modulate the amount of gain. My Lead Gain is usually around 7 to 8, pushed for 80's rhythms (Cheap Trick, Blondie, etc.), and pulled for the Mark IV Liquid Lead. Lead Drive is usually run just below the Gain setting.

I like this cocktail because it removed some of what I describe as a modern "boxey" or compressed voice while rounding out the sound. Mark IIs are my favorite Marks, and this mixture approaches the tone and FEEL of a Mark II.

Back