New to this forum-Mesa MkIIc+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fear

Reaction score
Hello all. Allow me to introduce myself, My name is Ben and as described I picked-up a Mesa MkTTc+ at a pawn shop and have been trying to find any and all info online. The good thing about Mesa's is most people don't know much about them, even the good ones like I have.

The amp head I picked up is in very good condition. It looks like the last owner babbied it and retubed it recently with some Russian tubes. It is a 100/60watt with no reverb or EQ, but does have the optional cooling fan.

I was curious as to what pedals sound good though it for blues/metal (Sabbath, Deep Purple, Rainbow, etc) what kind of reverb, in case I miss it (I've owned Marshalls, that all had reverb), what the reverb knob s for on the back, since it doesn't have a reverb tank and wonder what those two extra 6L6 sockets are for on the far right.

Yes it is the real deal, serial number and all. It has the plus written in magic marker on the back. Not hard to fake, I figured I'd check with Mesa on if this was a factory plus, a plus mod later-on or some redneck with a Sharpie. I'm no so worried at the moment.

Thanks,
Ben
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa82/fear624/Mesa1.jpg
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa82/fear624/Mesa5.jpg
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa82/fear624/Mesa4.jpg
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa82/fear624/Mesa3.jpg

Hi Ben!!!

This isn't a 100/60W IIC+!!!! IT'S A COLISEUM!!!!!!! ;-) A IIC or an upgraded IIC->IIC+ Not sure about this. Maybe the Serial would help. There's a topic about the IIC/IIC+ research. Will post the link after finding the post. There you will also find more infos on this one! Nice Amp!

Best Regards!

Rob

Okay Ben!

Here's the link!

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51796&start=0&hilit=IIC+coliseum

As already stated this is a Coliseum because of the SIX 6L6 Powersockets. It produces a massive 180W. Simul's Coliseum run about a max. of 120W. If you make some pics of the inside some pro's will give you further information on this one. Preamp Board etc.

It's not necessary a production IIC+ and the Serial question is not cleared because of the split in the IIC into IIC+ production and the serial number which splits the original IIC run from the IIC+ run. Those Amps are very rare and it's stated that there are about 86 ever made. In fact we saw some Coliseums with the normal 5 digit serial. So there might be some more of those.

Hope this helps a bit. Just search the forum for the IIC's Coliseum!

If something is wrong please correct me some of the members ;-)

Best Regards!

Rob

It's ser # is K362.

I'm still familiarizing myself with Mesas. I live just outside of Nashville, which is where I found it. My step-dad used to do work on amps for groups like jethro Tull and such and seems to think that having the optional fan, but missing the EQ and reverb might mean it did duty for someone big because big bands tend to like rack-mount EQs and reverb over on-board.

He couldn't really explain the un-used 5th and 6th 6L6 sockets. That's why I'm asking here. Also, on the back the presence knob is missing with a filler plug in it's place and the reverb knob is there, but at one time had a lable-maker sticker over it (probably dried-up and fell off) which makes me wonder what the reverb knob was for. There's a place for a reverb tank, but it doesn't look to have ever been used (no screw-holes around the reverb hole in the bottom). I thought trying to add a reverb might be a desecration and figured a Holy grail or TC pedal sound better anyway. I figured an MXR 10-band EQ in the loop would be fine as well.

After I wear down the Russian tubes, I figured I'd swap them for Mesas. How much extra gain do Mesa tubes make? They turn up slightly used on CL around here because the Country dudes install them, then pull them back out because they think they're too gainey. Just sounds like something I'd be after.

K362..

HAHa.

You have one of the most bad *** amps ever made. You have a Coliseum. Its most likely a C + But rarer, Huge volumes. Run a search on the board.

Hi Ben, hi Shep!

Well K362. I remember from the last Topic about the IIC/IIC+ production number research that K365 was an original IIC Coliseum. And looking at the Thread there is a IIC/IIC+ split in the Coliseum series. But i think most IIC are upgraded to IIC+ specs. So this might be one of them.

The "Reverb" knob is a limiter knob on the IIC/IIC+ Coliseum's. About tubes, just search the forum. I think there are several good advises about pre amp and output Tubes. And of course most will say to pull STR 415 Tubes in the Output. But that might be expensive buying 6!!!! of them. The Prescence is on the Front. It's a wide head so one knob can be found on the front. The Hole is not for a reverb tank. It might be to small for it. Normally the non reverb models have a hole in the Shell. Maybe for a better air circulation while running the fan.

More pics from the inside would help to identify the Amp. And of course we love to see the P0RN! So it would be nice and interesting to get some pics from the inside so the hole Forum Family can fall in love with this rare bird :)

Best Regards!

Rob

Hi Fear,

Just in case it wasn't clear from the posts above, the "extra" two sockets are for more 6L6 tubes. This amp is designed to use six 6L6 tubes, not four. I would always run it with the six tubes in place. I would not run it with four. You might damage your amp.

Depending upon the details of your amplifier's internal cicuitry, it might be possible to run with only four, but you'd need to know which tube sockets to use and which to leave empty. I'm not sure how the sockets are wired in a Coliseum...so I wouldn't risk it.

Also, in case it's not clear, the "Coliseum" is a variation on the usual Mesa Mark series. When one ordered a Mark series amp from Mesa, you could pick from a whole list of options...Graphic EQ, reverb, speaker type, speaker size, hardwood cabinet, etc. The "Coliseum" was the high-power option, hence the use of extra 6L6 tubes. Not many people ordered that option, though, which is why your amp is very rare.

The pre-amp portion of the amp will be just like a normal, non-Coliseum version of the same vintage. In your case, either a Mark IIC or Mark IIC+. Therefore, your amp is either a "Mark IIC Coliseum" or a "Mark IIC+ Coliseum".

Chip

Wow man that's awesome, the first boogie you find is a C+ Coliseum! Talk about luck! I wonder how long it was in the pawn shop! Funny too, I got my C+ coliseum (KDG 411) from nashville... that's 2 out of 86 in one city. Congrats man, you hit the lottery.

I would recommend calling mesa and talking to mike bendinelli about this one, before you start playing it much. I'm not sure if it's safe to play with 2 tubes pulled, and it would be terrible to damage a tranny. Mesa doesn't have great info as to the split between IIC and IIC+ (for coliseum), so do the "loop test" on it to see if it's a "+" or not. if you can, open that baby up and look for writing on the chassis to indicate a "+" mod or any other mods after factory. Also you can identify which model it is by the writing on the side of the chassis. it should start with a "K" in thick magic marker. Also, there is a chance it's a simulclass. mine had no markings of the simul option until I opened it up and saw the "D" next to the "K" on the side of the chassis.

For tubes, Mesa branded sylvania STR-415 are probably what you want in this amp. Great sounding, and they can easily handle the power your amp will produce. SED =C= would be the next choice. Also look for a spare or two of the "6FQ7" or "6CG7" tube. It's the phase inverter, but it's out of production. They pretty much NEVER fail, because it sees little power, and can handle a lot more than it sees. I wouldn't pay much more than $10 for them, they can be found for good deals... eBay, or a good electronics TV repair shop.

you probably got it for a steal... haha, the pawn shop owner probably just wanted to get rid of it cause it's so big!

welcome to the board, this is looking like a great weekend!

scott

Thanks for the info, everyone.

I'm hoping the tube swap is something i can just do myself, since you apparently don't have to bias tubes on a Boogie. That should cut down on a lot of the cost as well.

The hole I figured was for the reverb tank is a rectangle hole in the bottom of the case.

It couldn't have been there long. I go in that pawn shop almost habitually from looking for tools (I'm a diesel mechanic, most of my tools were bought used.) So it couldn't have been there more than a week. I put it on layaway for the asking price of $700. I figured that was a fair price for a 100-watt name-brand full tube head.

Everyone wants to think they have the holy grail of car engines, bikes, etc. Until they check the numbers. I wasn't expecting much when I ran the numbers on this. Kinda cool to catch an unexpected break.

Fear said:

I'm hoping the tube swap is something i can just do myself, since you apparently don't have to bias tubes on a Boogie. That should cut down on a lot of the cost as well.

The hole I figured was for the reverb tank is a rectangle hole in the bottom of the case.

It couldn't have been there long. I go in that pawn shop almost habitually from looking for tools (I'm a diesel mechanic, most of my tools were bought used.) So it couldn't have been there more than a week. I put it on layaway for the asking price of $700. I figured that was a fair price for a 100-watt name-brand full tube head.

Everyone wants to think they have the holy grail of car engines, bikes, etc. Until they check the numbers. I wasn't expecting much when I ran the numbers on this. Kinda cool to catch an unexpected break.

Its a good thing noone on this board knew what pawhshop it was sitting at because I GUARANTEE you wouldnt have paid 700 for it after someone told them what these sell for.

you don't need to bias if you use mesa tubes, or have a respected seller to get you tubes within the range needed for your amp. The hole just should be there to allow fresh air flow across the tubes to cool them

$700? um yeah, that's a fair price. omg. and people out there think you can't find a IIC or IIC+ for a bargain.

nice going

scott

Facelift said:
Its a good thing noone on this board knew what pawhshop it was sitting at because I GUARANTEE you wouldnt have paid 700 for it after someone told them what these sell for.

haha yeah, cause we would go to the pawn shop and offer the guy $1500 for the thingy with the $700 price tag. If anybody else here saw it, it would have been gone.

Fear scored big.

Nice Score! in looking at your picture the faceplate has "Gain Boost" over the Mater Volume. This was changed to say "Pull Deep" 0n the factory IIC+. However there were some produced in the very beginning of the C+ run with the old face plates. It may have been upgraded later but either way you have an extremely rare amp!

I'll give you $1,000 for it :lol:

Can't talk now headed to my local pawn shop!

mule#1 said:
Nice Score! in looking at your picture the faceplate has "Gain Boost" over the Mater Volume. This was changed to say "Pull Deep" 0n the factory IIC+. However there were some produced in the very beginning of the C+ run with the old face plates. It may have been upgraded later but either way you have an extremely rare amp!

Bolded parts are not true. Mesa really mixed up these faceplates. My DRG C+ #140xx has "Gain Boost".

adonixx said:
mule#1 said:

Bolded parts are not true. Mesa really mixed up these faceplates. My DRG C+ #140xx has "Gain Boost".

yes,

plus this is a long head, which really throws a monkey wrench into the whole "gain boost" is an upgrade

scott

Facelift said:
Fear said:

:shock: Really?! In the four years I've been on this Board I know of NOBODY who would undermine a fellow Boogie-boarder's bargain purchase.

It might be found in SpongeRob's link (I didn't read the whole thing), but here's a definitive test for a C+:

The Loop Test –

1) Plug your guitar into the Effects Return jack
2) Switch to lead mode
3) Turn the Lead Drive and Gain controls with a note ringing.
4) If they have NO effect on the volume and sound you have a+.

I believe this will work with a Coli. That was excerpted from here: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18184

Also, earlier you mention possible rack-mounting. I believe these are too wide for a rack mounting. Definitely get a fan!

It's got a fan. The only option on it (as far as reverb, EQ, etc options go). The fan was also the only thing that had a date code on it.

I have no interest in rack-mounting anything. I just brought-up rackmount as my step-dad suggested that if Keith Richards, Santana, etc ordered an amp, they would probably want a powerful stripped-down amp with a fan so they could run rackmount reverb and EQ for their stage rigs. He figured it was originally bought and speced with intentions to tour with, not for someone to jam in their livingroom with. Good side being it probably has some history, bad side some roadie probably carried it out a back door some time in the late '80's.

I'm now searching for a used slant and straight set of Mesa 412s. if this thing is a 120watt, it needs to be a full stack. It's a good thing my landlord hates the neighbors. He would giggle knowing I would pull in at 1am on my cammed open-pipe Harley when I get home from my shift. This will really piss the neighbors off.

Which goes back to one of my original questions, what speaker cabinets and overdrives sound good on a MkII? I was looking at Tim and OCD pedals, but now you guys have me looking for Xotics. They all come up on the local CL a lot.

Hey,

for me, I like the old school mesa halfback cabs with the metal grill. If you get one with 2 EV-12L in the bottom and 2 MC-90 on top you will be running about 580 watt cab, more than enough to handle your head. You could even get a mesa thieve 1x12 with a 200 watt EV-12L and a mesa 1x12 with an MC-90, tap the 4 ohm taps on the amp and it will be very happy. Or if you want newer, the mesa Stiletto cab should make you happy.

as far as boost, It should have all the gain you could ever want. You might throw a EQ in the loop and an RC, AC, or BB preamp out front. The RC boost has the least amount of gain, BB has the most.

scott

Fear said:
It's got a fan. The only option on it (as far as reverb, EQ, etc options go). The fan was also the only thing that had a date code on it.

I have no interest in rack-mounting anything. I just brought-up rackmount as my step-dad suggested that if Keith Richards, Santana, etc ordered an amp, they would probably want a powerful stripped-down amp with a fan so they could run rackmount reverb and EQ for their stage rigs. He figured it was originally bought and speced with intentions to tour with, not for someone to jam in their livingroom with. Good side being it probably has some history, bad side some roadie probably carried it out a back door some time in the late '80's.

I'm now searching for a used slant and straight set of Mesa 412s. if this thing is a 120watt, it needs to be a full stack. It's a good thing my landlord hates the neighbors. He would giggle knowing I would pull in at 1am on my cammed open-pipe Harley when I get home from my shift. This will really piss the neighbors off.

Which goes back to one of my original questions, what speaker cabinets and overdrives sound good on a MkII? I was looking at Tim and OCD pedals, but now you guys have me looking for Xotics. They all come up on the local CL a lot.

I cant comment on any Mesa cabs but I use Randall Warhead cabs (4x12 and 2x15) with my Mark III and the sound is unbelievably huge. 4x12 has celestion vintage 30s that handles up to 240 watts and the 2x15 has Jaguars which handles up to 400 watts. 2x15 is 8 ohm and 4x12 is 8 ohm stereo OR switchable to 4/16 ohm mono. These cabs are both oversized like Mesa cabs and can be had for less than half of what you would pay for them as well. I actually know of a guy selling a set of these cabs on the deanguitars forum. You might be able to talk him down.

Back