Just baught a Coliseum Series 300 Mark IIB need help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pearce117

Reaction score
Can any one help me out with info on this amp?
It's Serial #K315.

I have never seen it. I got it from G,C. So if it's not any good it's going back lol.
So this is my thing I play metal and by that I mean Heavy metal, Thrash and so on. I love thick in your face tone. But I also love that squishy dirty blues tone and cleans that sound like a piano/Bell. Will this have any of them things going for it?

I gave mesa a call and I was told that amp will kill just about any thing you put in front of it. I'm going to call Mike B and have him look it up and see if it's had any mods yet or anything. I was also told it may have some IIC or C+ parts in it because its so close to the IIC numbers. He also tells me the voicing will be so close it's crazy. Only thing is it might have less gain. But that's a MASSIVE might because its not a normal IIB. This was a guy at Mesa telling me this so I just wanna talk with a person that really has one. I wanna know what to expect with this thing. I'm willing to do the FX mod if need be down the road if it even needs it. Just putting that out there. Thanks..

Nice amp!, was this the one in california that GC had for like $800? I think they had a pic of a fender amp instead of the correct one. Pull the chassis and you will see if any mods were done as they would be written on top of the chassis in marker. Post some pics if you can. what options? simul or GEQ or reverb? hardwood? It should get the clean and the dirt you want, metal? maybe. the right tubes and cab. the FX loop mod if needed will help. Ask Mike B. if he can do anything to get more gain out of it... assuming that's what you want. or try a clean boost out front, lol. sweet find, keep us updated

scott

zodiac272 said:
Nice amp!, was this the one in california that GC had for like $800?
Yes it was.

zodiac272 said:
Post some pics if you can.
I sure will. I just need to let the bank thing go it's course. Then Shipping time... AHHHHHH!!!!

zodiac272 said:
what options? simul or GEQ or reverb? hardwood? It should get the clean and the dirt you want, metal? maybe.
:shock: **** me! I didn't ask... I was under the impression that it being what it is would be fully loaded.

I'm going to call as soon as I can and ask. The guy at Mesa didn't do much as far as looking stuff up goes...

IIB Coli-sounds like its homework time for grasshoppa'....
http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/welcome.html
-grab a refreshing beverage and read up on the amp 'Keef made famous...(that's Keith Richards for all of you young uns... 8) )

I have one. But my serial # is K201. I don't know anything about part close to Mark IIC or IIC+ so I cannot help you in that department. But yours is a later 300 Series. Mine is the standard Mark IIB, non-simul class.

As far as melting things in front of you, yes, you practically knock flying bird off the sky. As far as squish dirty blues, piano / clean, yes, but you have to push the master so you will have unhappy neighbors.

Now for the metal stuff, I'm not sure exactly what tone you are looking for metal. Its not a really hi-gain monster amp compared to say Dual Rectifier or Mark IV, V. It does reach hi-gain preamp levels but not like those I mentioned. You would have to put the graphic in the V mode and use a chorus plus a fuzz or distortion to get really hi-gain. But of course this is my opinion.

I love my Mark IIB for what is able to do. Once you figure out how to "juggle" the volume controls (cascading gains) then its a fairly straight forward amp where something like a Dual Rectifier, it could get unpredictable if you start fiddle with the tone controls to bizarre settings. By the way, I have both Mark IIB and Dual Rectifier, completely different animals.

There is the effect loop modification that MikeB could do.

Asks more question, I may (or may not) be able to answer them.

if GC didn't already ship it, and yo have the money, I would get a return auth number from mesa and have GC send it directly to mesa for the FX loop mod which will put it between a IIC and a IIC+. Talk to mike b. see if there is a way to get more gain out of it.

then the shipping from mesa wont be so bad (probably) and you will have a box made to ship your amp if you ever decide to sell/ship. the whole deal may add $600 or so to the price tag. It's a risk, yes, considering you could probably sell it after all that for $1200 or so?

to find out what options ask GC to pull the chassis. (very easy, I've done it many times with basically one good hand) and read the chassis code on the side of it. maybe something like KRG (reverb and GEQ) or KDG (Simul and GEQ)... depending on the options.

scott

oh, and maybe they can put a limit circuit like the IIC/IIC+ models. maybe keep the neighbors happier.

As far as having IIC+ parts, that's kind of a funny thing for the guys at mesa to say to make you want to buy it. That's almost the same thing as a stripper telling you she really likes you and may consider a relationship if you get some dances. it may have the same transformers... pretty sure they used the bass 400+ power tranny, not sure about the Output tranny. As far as other parts, yeah of course... they all have resistors, caps, switches, etc., but they have very different circuit and values.

I'm sure that amp will be killer, but be wary of the guy that tells you it may have IIC+ parts. That could lead to a letdown bigger than finding the hottest girl in the club only to find out "crying game" style that she has a wang bigger than yours. (and no I haven't had that experience)

i guess I'm trying to say proceed with caution.

scott

gts said:
Ok grasshoppa' time to explain your comments (hope you were taking notes).
What IIC or C+ parts did he say may be in it?
Don't know for sure yet but it was made close to the change over to C and they may have put some parts that where on hand in it. The only way they would know for sure is if I sent it to them. But it's a strong possibility. I was on a high at the time so I didn't ask what parts it may have in it.

gts said:
What about it makes it "not a normal IIB"?
The Coliseum Series 300 head was built on the big block base that also lead to the Bass 400+.
The power section was driven by six GC6L6 power tubes
The pre-amp is driven by four 12AX7 tubes in V1 to V4, a 12AT7 in V5 and a 6FQ7 in V6. The 6FQ7 is the phase inverter/driver tube along with the 12AT7 that acts as a buffer.

gts said:
What is a "normal" IIB?
One that's not 180w running 6 GC6L6 power tubes and so on...

I got more info on it now and I feel better about jumping on it.
GEQ, :D I loved playing with the EQ on my mark III so I'm pumped this one has it.
Class A/B, :D YES! 180w of face pealing bone crushing concrete cracking power hear I come!!!!!
Reverb, :) Every thing I have ever herd this amp do with the verb gave me chills! I'm going to need a Vol pedal now...
Black Tolex. :| I wish it was hard wood. I can make a head shell for it tho so no big deal. :)
Has some scuffs. :( Can't win them all right

zodiac272 said:
oh, and maybe they can put a limit circuit like the IIC/IIC+ models. maybe keep the neighbors happier.

Tell me more! Whats that do? How's it work?

zodiac272 said:
As far as having IIC+ parts, that's kind of a funny thing for the guys at mesa to say to make you want to buy it. That's almost the same thing as a stripper telling you she really likes you and may consider a relationship if you get some dances. it may have the same transformers... pretty sure they used the bass 400+ power tranny, not sure about the Output tranny. As far as other parts, yeah of course... they all have resistors, caps, switches, etc., but they have very different circuit and values.

I'm sure that amp will be killer, but be wary of the guy that tells you it may have IIC+ parts. That could lead to a letdown bigger than finding the hottest girl in the club only to find out "crying game" style that she has a wang bigger than yours. (and no I haven't had that experience)

i guess I'm trying to say proceed with caution.

scott

Point well taken dear Sir.

If it cant shred I'll just get a boost pedal or something like that. As far as that goes I really don't crank the Distortion. I like more of a fat crunch like Slayer and Metallica. I'm not really looking for a Fuzzy mess I just want that [WALL-O SOUND] that makes riffs BLEED...

the limit circuit is a built in power attenuator so you can crank the lead master without making Michael Moore angry.

scott

So it would be a knob on the back I can turn to lower the Vol and keep the tone than? Funny you say that because I live in Flint MI, lol

RR said:
I have one. But my serial # is K201. I don't know anything about part close to Mark IIC or IIC+ so I cannot help you in that department. But yours is a later 300 Series. Mine is the standard Mark IIB, non-simul class.

As far as melting things in front of you, yes, you practically knock flying bird off the sky. As far as squish dirty blues, piano / clean, yes, but you have to push the master so you will have unhappy neighbors.

Now for the metal stuff, I'm not sure exactly what tone you are looking for metal. Its not a really hi-gain monster amp compared to say Dual Rectifier or Mark IV, V. It does reach hi-gain preamp levels but not like those I mentioned. You would have to put the graphic in the V mode and use a chorus plus a fuzz or distortion to get really hi-gain. But of course this is my opinion.

I love my Mark IIB for what is able to do. Once you figure out how to "juggle" the volume controls (cascading gains) then its a fairly straight forward amp where something like a Dual Rectifier, it could get unpredictable if you start fiddle with the tone controls to bizarre settings. By the way, I have both Mark IIB and Dual Rectifier, completely different animals.

There is the effect loop modification that MikeB could do.

Asks more question, I may (or may not) be able to answer them.
Okay How many lbs' Is this thing? And I like the fat crunch crunch stuff like Slayer and metallica

Yeah I did.. I regret selling it often. I was looking to get another one and seen this.

+1000 on the effects loop mod from Mike B.
check out my thread after I had my mark iib done.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51959

the mod adds another volume pot on the back that you can use to bring the volume down a bit without loosing your tone.

Pearce117 said:
Okay How many lbs' Is this thing? And I like the fat crunch crunch stuff like Slayer and metallica
Mine weighs in at 49.8 lbs!

Fat crunch, ... asks around on this board about what brand for hi-gain 12AX7 preamp tubes. I've had my share of varying gain 12AX7 tubes, like some has gain more like a 5751 (lower gain), (or is it 5157? dyslexia).

A buddy on another board who does amp repair told me Dual Rectifier Red Channel in the Modern Hi Gain mode (as well as many hi-gain amps) has "silicon preamp gain" along with the tube preamp gain to give it that sizzle hi-gain preamp tone where the earlier Boogies was pure tube preamp gain.

Okay well I gave Mesa a call and I have to say I was told that there is no volume mod that they do on there amps. Infact I felt like I was mocked buy the guy when I asked him. He told me who ever said that had no idea what they where talking about. Then he asked me who told me they did that because they never have... :shock: Not a good phone call at all.

The FX Mod is $300 and what ever needs done on top of that will be extra. As far as tone goes I wanna play METAL the most. Can this amp do it? If not whats going to be the best way to get a IIC+ tone out of it? Don't say buy a IIC+ because I don't have $2,500+ to get one or I would. I was thinking of a MXR ZW44 to push it or something because I cant afford to do the FX mod right now and it may be some time before I can get it done.

I found like the only video on the whole frikin internet of a IIB playing with whats close to the tone I want. I wanna be a little more thick than this tho..
http://youtu.be/yLlRyZiRs9w

Who did you talk to? I just sent them my coliseum last week, and when on the phone with him, I mentioned the limit circuit on the back and he was trying to tell me that the limit circuit was a mod after the factory. I politely told him that it was stock, and he still didn't believe me. I didn't really care cause the guy who will work on it really knows his stuff. So Rich put me on hold and called his tech, Mike B. and learned something new, that the IIC and IIC+ coliseum have limit knobs.

Also, I shipped it on a saturday... I could see a delivery attempt on monday at 11:30 pacific time during mesa business hours, but wasn't claimed, and left a door tag and back to the local Petaluma post office. I thought this was strange, and became paranoid that I somehow put the wrong address. I called mesa tuesday and talked to Rich, and he assured me that it arrived safely (Tuesday), and I quickly explained why I called, and he said well it probably got here friday... (thinking to myself, that superman didn't circle the earth to reverse it's rotation and turn back time) and I was like well that's not possible, I shipped it on saturday, and he's like whatever. I don't think anything of it because I know they will make my amp perfect and new again, and I won't need to worry about it.

enough about me....

As far as can the IIB do metal? I think it's a stretch. I'm sure it will have a ton of muscle and beef to the sound, but it may fall short in the high gain area. Especially if you think you are only getting 95% of the tone you want with your current setup. but You might think about running a clean boost in front to add more dB gain.

The good thing is, if you get the coliseum and it isn't doing it for you, you should be able to flip it without losing your shirt. Did you ask the guys at Mesa what they thought about the coliseum doing high gain metal?

It's really hard to say how you will feel about it until you plug in. Either it will speak to you, or you will keep looking.

Also, I don't know what your budget is, but there is a sweet *** MK III coliseum in the classifieds

scott

Pearce117 said:
I spoke with Rich... :?
Any amp made before the Mark IV, there are two sources of correct info at MESA. Randall Smith and Mike Bendinelli. 8)

This statement is not meant to offend anyone else that works for MESA. It is just a matter of being with the company during the early years. The early amps are full of anomolies, that only a few people know of. 8)

hey ... having had the pleasure of following on the NWOBHM movement from the late 70ies on I find that especially the boogies really represent the period sounds (besides the introduction of the JCM800 not that much development with marshall), meaning that they are perfect if you want to time travel back, but don't really work to travel forewards if you understand what I mean ? also we seem to be talking how far the basic amp distortion / overdrive (no effects) can go and not their clean sounds. the 2 IIB woody coli's I have are fully loaded, came from aerosmith (documented) and when driven are perfect rock - hardrock amps. you're talking early 80ies there. that is when they were born and that is what they were really built for. the 2 IIC+ woody coli's are different animals. now you're talking mid 80ies and although stretched as example, when driven you can get to early metallica sounds. after that I personally don't see that much distortion / overdrive evolution anymore in the MK series, but would consider the DRs (-> early 90ies) to be the next step of evolution.

all this said ... :D ... what you got is a ca. 30-year old vintage classic amp, this obviously without seeing / playing it beforehand. your amp is great at going up to rock / hardrock sounds and was built for usage on live tours of huge bands playing in large stadiums. if neither of this is what you need it for, you quite simply have the wrong amp. investing money now into turning this amp into something it is from beginning on not, will not get you to your sound and destroy any possible vintage / original value of your amp. I'd strongly recommend to you to a) lay out your sound ideas first, b) define what amps would be possible (also check timelines) and c) test them personally before buying them. taking finances into consideration my feeling would be that a MKIII probably would be the ideal for you. if you aim at filling stadiums, get a MKIII Coli (they are on the bay as off $ 900), if you're still at the practising stage any 60-watt, 60-/100-watt or Simul will do. prices will be accordingly.

good luck on your tone search ... :D

---

edit:

check out f.e.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1980s-Mesa-Boogie-Mark-III-Purple-Stripe-amplifier-Mk-3-/250796857093?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a64a85705

serial-wise quite close to a MKIIC+, lookwise exactly what your avatar played and if GTS still does it, you could have it retolexed perfectly to your liking

BUT ... TRY ONE FIRST !

Latest posts

Back