Mark IV versions?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virtu

Reaction score
Hi mates.
I found a second hand mark iv to buy.
How i can check the version? From the serial number? I heard that the "IVb" is better(?).
is there any differences between the short and medium head versions?
thanks!

Ok guys, sorry...i should read the sticky first...:)
But i didn't find any info about the differences between the short and medium head.
Anybody?
thanks

The A version will have an attached power cord, slightly less gain in rhythm 2, and slightly more raw lead channel.
Either one is a good choice. :D

I second that! I have a mark4 early 90s version and it has just as described- less gain on rhy2, which still makes it a good crunch channel, when boosted with ts808 it gets even heavier and the lead channel is not as smooth and dark as on newer mark4Bs, it is rather rawer sounding with slightly more treble, I'd say a little more markIIIesque, on its own it may sound weird but in a band situation it plays like heaven :) at least mine does

ryjan said:
The A version will have an attached power cord, slightly less gain in rhythm 2, and slightly more raw lead channel.

Incorrect info. Around 6-700 MK IVB's from late 1993 to early 1994 have attached power cords.
For serial numbers, anything around 6000-6300 is a possible IVA anything over is a possible IVB.
As with anything Mesa, there may be some blurring between the models around 6200-6300 like the IVA/B
which could have the IVA circuit but stereo loops.

Boogiebabies said:
ryjan said:

Incorrect info. Around 6-700 MK IVB's from late 1993 to early 1994 have attached power cords.
For serial numbers, anything around 6000-6300 is a possible IVA anything over is a possible IVB.
As with anything Mesa, there may be some blurring between the models around 6200-6300 like the IVA/B
+1. My IVB head has attached power cord and serial number just over 8100.

(p.s. good to see you back, Ed)

I have a late #59xx Mark IV B with an attached Power cable, reverb jack and B Style effects loop Dated 1993

Boogiebabies said:
ryjan said:

I am intrigued by these A/B versions with the A circuit, but with stereo loops. My Mark IV is S/N 614X, with the attached power cord, and the stereo loops. How can I tell which version circuit I have? Is there an indication on the ouside? Or, on the circuit boards inside?

^If it has 4 FX loop jacks its an A. Also an A would not have a reverb footswitch jack or Satellite send jack.

littlephil said:
^If it has 4 FX loop jacks its an A. Also an A would not have a reverb footswitch jack or Satellite send jack.

Apparently, there were some A circuit Mark IV's that were made with the stereo effects loop, satellite send, and rev. footswitch. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong....) Does anyone have one of these models?

I may have to pull the chassis, to see if there is any indication on the circuit boards which model I have....

cho said:
littlephil said:

Apparently, there were some A circuit Mark IV's that were made with the stereo effects loop, satellite send, and rev. footswitch. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong....) Does anyone have one of these models?
I believe this is correct, and these might be referred to as "No A/ No B".

Back