studio 22 strange tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveS

Reaction score
I have a studio 22 from about 1986 which over the last couple of years has begun to sound very bright even with the presence off and the treble low. It's like an unpleasant upper mid spike. Different leads, graphic off, with or without effects. Guitar sounds fine in other amps. Has been serviced a year or so ago by a reputable repair guy with valves checked or changed with no change in sound and is about to go back to my recommended top London repair guy who says it's more likely to be my ears! And who also suggests that it's unlikely that any components have deteriorated. I've run out of ideas, although I admit that I haven't replace all 7 valves in one go as they've either been checked or replaced. Any thoughts? Thanks, Dave.

if you've got a tube amp, I bet you've got an extra pair of tubes. Swap the 'old' 12ax7 for new ones and find out the bad tube. good luck.

More times than not,I find this problem,"ice pick like tone" to be associated and cured with a bias adjustment.This requires modifying the bias circuit to be adjustable.Its a very easy and inexpensive mod,I've done it many times for free when doing other work,such as a cap job.Its just a $1.50 part and about 5 minutes.The way Boogies are set at the factory is very cold.When you buy tubes that are pre-selected to be "safe" in your amp the bias point could vary from,I've seen them as cold as 10ma's and as hot as 35ma's and any where in between would be considered "safe".I happen to hate current production tubes,but when biased to find the tubes "sweet spot",even they can sound good.Ask your tech about doing the mod.If someone wanted it done,and that was the only work they need/want I would only charge $25,if it was a regular customer,I wouldnt charge at all.

stokes said:
More times than not,I find this problem,"ice pick like tone" to be associated and cured with a bias adjustment.This requires modifying the bias circuit to be adjustable.Its a very easy and inexpensive mod,I've done it many times for free when doing other work,such as a cap job.Its just a $1.50 part and about 5 minutes.The way Boogies are set at the factory is very cold.When you buy tubes that are pre-selected to be "safe" in your amp the bias point could vary from,I've seen them as cold as 10ma's and as hot as 35ma's and any where in between would be considered "safe".I happen to hate current production tubes,but when biased to find the tubes "sweet spot",even they can sound good.Ask your tech about doing the mod.If someone wanted it done,and that was the only work they need/want I would only charge $25,if it was a regular customer,I wouldnt charge at all.

More likely to be biased too hot with -11 neg grid voltage. Almost every one of thier older EL84 amp's is. However either way it should be checked and made adjustable. : > ) Bob

Back