Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomad

Reaction score
Got the Boogie Bug here lately. Just bought a Nomad 55 1x12 combo. I've had a number of Boogies over the years but I have some questions about the Mark IV.

I've been thinking about getting one but havent fooled with one enuff to know about it.

Are they better than the Nomadds, more flexible, better quality, ...?

Another good question is I like my amps bright. I had a Mark I reissue and it lost some brightness when going to Half Power or Tweed. It sounded best at Full Power but was too much power in that little box. It was vibrating, girating, rattleing, buzzing, loud and generally about to come apart at full power. How is the Mark IV's 85 watts compared to the 100 watts of the Mark I and in Class A mode (which I assume is its low power setting does it lose Highs. Does it halve other low power options and do they make it loose highs.

Do the hard wood cabs sound better or different than the coverd cabs with grill cloth? If I bought one been thinking about either the Flame Maple and wicker can or the Cocoa Bronco and Tan Grill. Which sounds better IYOP.

I know these are alot of questions but I really want to know. I will try to try one out soon but in stores its never the same as at home or playing with my stuff in my situation. I never can really tell about an amp based on a stor try out but as soon as I get it into my inviroment I know.

Thanx for the Help.

Nomad,

I can't specifically answer you're questions comparing different aspects of the Mark IV.
However, my Mark IV is bright! I usually run it in Class A, full power, pentode and I've usually got the presence nobs full off and the highs still have room to go. It seems plenty bright to me. Even in Tweed Power mode with triode, it still seems bright.
I would say it is probably a little less bright in the lower power modes but still plenty bright for me.
I've got the standard size combo.

Nomad said:
Are they better than the Nomadds, more flexible, better quality, ...?

Different Sounds mate. Imo, more versatile than the nomad.

Nomad said:
Another good question is I like my amps bright. I had a Mark I reissue and it lost some brightness when going to Half Power or Tweed. It sounded best at Full Power but was too much power in that little box. It was vibrating, girating, rattleing, buzzing, loud and generally about to come apart at full power. How is the Mark IV's 85 watts compared to the 100 watts of the Mark I and in Class A mode (which I assume is its low power setting does it lose Highs. Does it halve other low power options and do they make it loose highs.

Imo, it does lose brightness when you go to tweed from full power. However there is still plenty of room to move on the treble settings...
The low power options are all laid out in the manual, avaliable from the mesa website.

Nomad said:
Do the hard wood cabs sound better or different than the coverd cabs with grill cloth? If I bought one been thinking about either the Flame Maple and wicker can or the Cocoa Bronco and Tan Grill. Which sounds better IYOP.

I cant comment on that, since I have a head version.

I always thought the Nomad was very versatile but the Mark IV is more so. I too, roll off all or almost all of the presence. I run Treble up around 7 though.

I also have the bug. I bought a DC-3 and it's great but doesn't have the Heavy rock thing I'm looking for. I am thinking about a Mark IV head, I already have a 2x12 vertical slant cab. I am 40 yrs old and want "The last amp I'll need to own" if that's really possible. My only thing is the most versatile boogies are all high powered. I'm well beyond the I'm going to be a Rock star thing. I'm basement recording and jamming with a few friends. I just want an every sound kind of amp. Any other versatile Boogie options?

I'm with you on that mtnb. They should issue these with a 50 watt power section and no simulclass.

That loud rock star thing is a thing of the Past for me too. Who needs a freakin 100 watt 1x12 combo.

mtnb, I'm in the same boat as you. The Mark IV is a good for that. In Class A, Tweed Power and Triode, you get about 30 watts output and good low volume distortion.

CudBucket,
So in the tweed power the Mark IV is down around 30watts like my DC-3? I had asked on another post to explain Simul-Cass. I was just trying to figure out that if I got the Mark IV could I play it like my DC-3 which I thought would be vesatile enough. I guess I just discovered the EL84's are not my type of tube. The other option I was thinking about was driving my DC-3 with a Bottle Rocket but I just hate the thought of pedals. Either way I want to get a head to go with my cab instead of the combo.

CudBucket said:
mtnb, I'm in the same boat as you. The Mark IV is a good for that. In Class A, Tweed Power and Triode, you get about 30 watts output and good low volume distortion.

30watts is still loud though.
I with my avatar 2x12 can not get an optimum bedroom level. Its always about 1.5 times too loud.

mtnb1kr said:
CudBucket,
So in the tweed power the Mark IV is down around 30watts like my DC-3? I had asked on another post to explain Simul-Cass. I was just trying to figure out that if I got the Mark IV could I play it like my DC-3 which I thought would be vesatile enough. I guess I just discovered the EL84's are not my type of tube. The other option I was thinking about was driving my DC-3 with a Bottle Rocket but I just hate the thought of pedals. Either way I want to get a head to go with my cab instead of the combo.

I too have a Mark IV and DC3.

To cut the power of the DC3, you can safely remove the outtermost EL84s if you move the speaker plug to the 4 ohm output. You can get some nice power tube distortion, or at least the onset of it at fairly low levels. Nice trick.

I like the contrast of the EL84s to the Mark IVs 6L6s. Both still sound unmistakably like classic Boogie.

Yes, Class A/Triode gives you 30 watts output. Then, Tweed Power reduces the voltage, kind of like a variac. I have no problems getting good low volume tones.

Keep in mind, whenever you play an amp like this at low volume, you sacrifice tone. But still, the sound I get with output at 1.5 or 1 with Lead Volume around 2 or 2.5 is real good and not loud.

mtnb1kr said:
I also have the bug. I bought a DC-3 and it's great but doesn't have the Heavy rock thing I'm looking for.

Run that DC3 through a Boogie 4x12 and see if you can get that grin off of your face! I had mine running through a 2x12 Boogie cab and it was "ok" sounding. Through my friend's MKIV 4x12 cab, it was stunning. Nothing sizzles like a 6BQ5!

~F

Back