Would you swap a Mark IV for a Recto?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryjan

Reaction score
I have a friend that wants to trade me my Mark IV for his 95 blackface 2 channel recto. Good deal or am I getting ripped off?

ryjan said:
I have a friend that wants to trade me my Mark IV for his 95 blackface 2 channel recto. Good deal or am I getting ripped off?

Are you mainly a rhythm player? If so, it seems like a fair deal, if they are both in the same condition. If you like to play Lead guitar, the Mark series will be the obvious choice. It's all about the voicing. I had a 95 Triple Rec for a while, and never could get it to "sing" like a Mark series.

2ch Rectos are worth about $900-$1100, depending on condition and how desperate someone is to buy into the 2ch club. Sometimes you can find them cheaper, and sometimes they'll go a bit higher.

In my opinion, the Mark series is unbeatable all the way around the clock over any Rectifier series. If you want to cut to the chase for that type of tone, I'd keep the Mark IV and grab a Peavey 6505 or one of the 5150's which I've seen go for $500-$600 all the time.

~Nep~

Neptical said:
If you want to cut to the chase for that type of tone, I'd keep the Mark IV and grab a Peavey 6505 or one of the 5150's which I've seen go for $500-$600 all the time.
this

I wouldn't personally...but I'm a bigger fan of MKIV's than I am of Recto's...and I use a Recto Pre as part of my main set-up.

I actually did exactly that... and ended up buying another Mark IV after offing the Recto. For me, it was a bad move. For you, could be worth it... who knows? Try it out first, which is what I didn't do. I realized I use lower volumes for home stuff a lot more than I thought. Can't do that with a Recto. Good luck!

Everyone can rest easy. The MarkIV is safely tucked away in my jam room never to be offered as trade bait again.

Good to hear haha! A low volumes, and expecting tight rhythms etc, the Recto would suck for sure. Being able to crank it and with an OD, very good. Horses for courses, but you'd just be making more effort for youself... and the lack of versatility + **** cleans etc.. I could never do that!

I have a Mark Iv and a 5150 II, I would do that before getting a another 2 channel
recto (had a black face dual for a while)
the only Recto I would go for these days is the Roadster. (which I seriously want).
the 550 suggestion is a good one especially if you're primarily a rthythm player they are great amps
for short money.

Latest posts

Back