Tube question for Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deftone82

Reaction score
Hi all!

Soon I'll be replacing the two outer tubes (currently sovtek 5881WXT) with EL34's...
I'm having it done by an amp-repair guy who will also do a full checkup of the amp.

When I asked for prices he said he would take 2 EL34 Svetlana winged =C= tubes. When I googled that tube, I read it was used in Marschalls alot.

Is this true and/or does it matter which brand/type of EL34 I put into it.

Or does anyone have a suggestion which EL34 I should let him put in?

and ps: he talked about biass...I'm right when I say that Mark IV's don't have to be biased after tube-replacement right?
I wonder if this guy knows enough about Mark IV's...

deftone82 said:
Hi all!

Soon I'll be replacing the two outer tubes (currently sovtek 5881WXT) with EL34's...
I'm having it done by an amp-repair guy who will also do a full checkup of the amp.

When I asked for prices he said he would take 2 EL34 Svetlana winged =C= tubes. When I googled that tube, I read it was used in Marschalls alot.

Is this true and/or does it matter which brand/type of EL34 I put into it.

Or does anyone have a suggestion which EL34 I should let him put in?

and ps: he talked about biass...I'm right when I say that Mark IV's don't have to be biased after tube-replacement right?
I wonder if this guy knows enough about Mark IV's...
There are tonal differences between tube brands. While these differences may be subtle, most here do have brand preferences. More profound differences exist between new production tubes and vintage tubes. I think there are only a few factories left that actually manufacture tubes, so many brands today are just relabelled.

Bias: You are correct in that Mesas are fixed bias. Tubes must fall within the operating range for the amp. To adjust bias, one must replace resistors or install a bias trim pot, which is problematic on amps where the tube pairs run at different biases.

So when I stay with JJ or Svetlana, it's ok? So what about the Winged C's...I read they can get boomy...and I allready dial out almost all of my bass...

is there a huge difference between the normal Svetlana EL23 and the SED Winged C's...?

which one would you suggest?

deftone82 said:
So when I stay with JJ or Svetlana, it's ok? So what about the Winged C's...I read they can get boomy...and I allready dial out almost all of my bass...

is there a huge difference between the normal Svetlana EL23 and the SED Winged C's...?

which one would you suggest?
I don't run EL34s, so I can't help you here. Just make sure the seller understands how to supply the correct tubes for your Mark IV. Doug's Tubes and Eurotubes are two knowledgable, reputable dealers (among others) who can supply the proper tubes.

Talk to Bob at www.eurotubes.com

He knows tubes and can help you out with most any question that you will have about them and how they will apply to your amp.

Latest posts

Back