Who uses overdrive/dist/attenuation on their Mark IV's ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grandor

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting an Ibanez TS9 for my mark IV or maybe a hotplate.
I'm wondering what are your experiences with such things?

I've got a Hot Plate, but only use it as a load, not to attenuate. Don't like what it does to the tone. As for a distortion pedal, I don't use them, the Mk IV's distortion is all I need.

Well, they do different things. I used to use a HotPlate with my Mark IV but sold it. It won't give you bedroom levels. I ended up finding that by tweaking the settings and changing my tubes, I could get a good low volume tone.

If you're going to drop $200 on a pedal for you mark, make it an OD like the FullDrive 2 or Fulltone OCD. Or maybe even a ToneBone British.

I run Hotplates off my amp (it's not a MkIV though). I find it's good for knocking the volume down a bit (-4 or -8db), but much further than that and it really starts to affect your tone....which is alright for practicing, but not for gigging (IMO).

After using them for so long however, I find I can't really go without them. I've spent so long fine tuning my settings for the -4db setting that it doesn't sound right at 0db anymore...not that that's a bad thing, since I think it sounds best this way.

Grandor said:

Ever think about buying a tube preamp and playing via headphones? My Boogie Formula screams, and nobody hears a thing. Of course it's nice to have a Mark IV, IIC+ and DC3 too.

Formulas are cheap on eBay.

JazzRules said:
Grandor said:

Ever think about buying a tube preamp and playing via headphones? My Boogie Formula screams, and nobody hears a thing. Of course it's nice to have a Mark IV, IIC+ and DC3 too.

Formulas are cheap on eBay.

ahh forgot to clarify. This is for gigs in a metal band.

Back