How long does a speaker last? - speaker recommendations?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melne

Reaction score
I have an old 1x12 black shadow cabinet that I bought in 1984, and to me, it doesn't sound very good anymore. It sounds brash in the high-end, but the speaker itself looks OK visually. Maybe 25 years just beyond a speaker's lifespan?

If I ought to replace it (since it sounds crummy to me, I suppose that's the road we're on), what replacement speaker would you recommend?

It is a half-back cabinet that would pair in a mini-boogie-stack with a 1x12 closed-back Thiele with the old EVM-12L speaker.

Thanks!

melne

dodger916 said:
What amp(s) and style of music do you play?

My main amp now is an early Mark III simulclass (no stripe), although I also have a Mark IIB that's now my spare.

I play covers, so from clean for Elvis/Chuck Berry to "medium-distorted rock tone" for various classic rock/modern rock hits. (from AC/DC to the Foo Fighters)

dodger916 said:
What speaker is in there now, and were you happy with it before it became "brash"?

I'm not entirely sure, it only says "Black Shadow" on it and a model/part number, and it's from the early 80s. (I can look at the exact number later). It doesn't have a specific manufacturer listed on it...

I have speaker that are over 60 years old ..... as far as I know they last a lot longer than we live.

The fact you find it brash is not because the speaker is old I would guess. As speakers get older and used they smooth out. But if you do not like it replace it.
I like both of those amps with Celestion Vintage 30 .... but everyone has different taste.

The main cab I use at the moment is a late-80s 1x12 with an EVM12L, and it sounds fantastic. Compared to the EVs in my Mark IV and IIB (neither of which have seen any intensive use) it absolutely smokes 'em, so in my opinion the more 'worn in' a speaker is, the better. The reason I like that unit so much is because the top end has dulled slightly though, the opposite of what you described.

If you post a photo, folks here will be able to identify it.

I'm assuming the amp sounds fine when played through the other speakers, thus ruling out an amp or tube issue.

Assuming the speaker needs replacing, I prefer either the Celestion C-90, EVM 12-L or Eminence MS-12 with my Mark amps. The C-90 is a great all-around speaker (neutral sounding for a Celestion) that would compliment your EVM-loaded Thiele. The MS-12 is also a kick-*** speaker that adds a bit of Marshally midrange bump and "blur". The stock speaker in '80s Mark combos (the EVM was the upgrade), my appreciation for this speaker with my Mark IIs has grown recently. It seems I'm not alone, as recent eBay sales are over $100.

Might not be the speaker, but the filter caps in your amp are slowly fading out. I found that the EV speakers are pretty transparent, so what I thought was a harsh, "Old" speaker was an amp needing a cap job.

Back