DC-5 Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sw686blue

Reaction score
Hi had posted this in the "Modern Era Amps" and was told to come and post my questions here since the DC series of amps was pre-1991.

"Yesterday I stopped off at a local MB dealer. I tried a couple of amps. The first was a F50 head going through a 4x12 bottom. I liked the crunch channel and the clean channel was not bad as well. Unfortunately, there was a moron playing so loud that it was hard to get a real feel for the amp at low volumes. I will probably go back with my own guitars and try it again. Btw, after unplugging and looking at the back of the F50 chassis, I noticed that a 6L6 was missing. When I mentioned this to the sales guy he was shocked as well. The second amp was a Maverick combo with 2x12s. I loved the clean channel, more than the F50, but the gain channel was not as crunchy. And that one was very price-prohibitive.

There is another dealer in my area and I will try some there too. I've seen on e-bay and on this board too, sales for the DC-5 (in combo or head format). What is your opinions on this amp? What kind of prices are they going for? What years were they manufactured?

I wish I could get my hands on a DC-5 or even a DC-3 to take it for a test drive. On e-bay there's a DC-3 going for $480, seems like a decent price.

So, let me hear what you guys think of the DC models since I'll probably be able to pick them up at a better price. I will try a F-30 once I can locate one.

Thanks again,
Nick
"

So, can someone tell me what this amps go for in excellent to mint condition? What years were they actually manufactured in?

Thanks again,
Nick

I had a DC-5 from 1996 to last year. I traded it for a Nomad 100. The DC-5 started selling in 1990 or later.

The dirty side of the DC-5, along with the eq, was the best sound from this amp. I didn't care for its clean sound very much. I had a Peavey Classic 30 (EL84s) for clean and liked that better. Now I use a Blue Angel for cleans. For my preferences, the EL84 tube gets me a better clean sound than the 6L6 does.

YMMV...

well ive had about 5 dc5 heads and still own 1.the dc line came out the same year or year after the recto1994 i think.in 91 the .50 cal was still out and 92 as well so anyway.if i was you i would wait it out and snatch up a dc 5 and not go the f series.dont get me wrong,with the right tools.compresser,eq,and such the f serieswill sound great.but the dc5 has a plug in and play killer tone.and the 5 band gets you any sound you will need.just my oppinion.but you can get a recto lead tone with a mkiv rythem with added 5 band....who needs better.ive had a mkiv,recto soldano,rivera...you name it and always come back to my trusty dc5.

i agree on that one. the first time i dialed in a good lead tone and cranked i said screw rectos....(even though they are amazing) i just said it in refrencing that i dont need to shell out $1500 to get the tone i wanted. :eek:

I dunno where the confusion stems from, the DC Series isn't vintage :)

As far as the DC-5 goes, I prefer it over any newer comparable amps from Boogie, primarily the Nomad and F-Series.

Its a great amp for the money. Independant ch controls for each ch. It is versatile, nice clean channel, smooth distortion and the darker Boogie tone. It is plenty loud at 50 watts but it also sounds good at lower volume levels. I like the graphic EQ and that its foot switchable. The amp is pretty touch sensitive, not players touch, control touch. A turn here or there can go from a killer tone to an ***-like tone :)

mesadc5pic.jpg

sw686blue said:
Hi had posted this in the "Modern Era Amps" and was told to come and post my questions here since the DC series of amps was pre-1991.

"Yesterday I stopped off at a local MB dealer. I tried a couple of amps. The first was a F50 head going through a 4x12 bottom. I liked the crunch channel and the clean channel was not bad as well. Unfortunately, there was a moron playing so loud that it was hard to get a real feel for the amp at low volumes. I will probably go back with my own guitars and try it again. Btw, after unplugging and looking at the back of the F50 chassis, I noticed that a 6L6 was missing. When I mentioned this to the sales guy he was shocked as well. The second amp was a Maverick combo with 2x12s. I loved the clean channel, more than the F50, but the gain channel was not as crunchy. And that one was very price-prohibitive.

There is another dealer in my area and I will try some there too. I've seen on e-bay and on this board too, sales for the DC-5 (in combo or head format). What is your opinions on this amp? What kind of prices are they going for? What years were they manufactured?

I wish I could get my hands on a DC-5 or even a DC-3 to take it for a test drive. On e-bay there's a DC-3 going for $480, seems like a decent price.

So, let me hear what you guys think of the DC models since I'll probably be able to pick them up at a better price. I will try a F-30 once I can locate one.

Thanks again,
Nick
"

So, can someone tell me what this amps go for in excellent to mint condition? What years were they actually manufactured in?

Thanks again,
Nick

Go for the DC-3 !!!!! Unlike the DC-5 and DC-10, the DC-3 has a "Class A" (cathode biased) output section. It is a very sweet Boogie, distortion channel is identical to the Maverick.

Great feature of the DC-3 is, you can remove 2 of the 4 EL84 tubes, and then switch to the 4 ohm output. Now you have a 17 watt amp, putting hours on only 2 EL84s.

BTW, I also own a Mark IIC+ and Mark IV. My DC-3, tonewise is as good as any.

Latest posts

Back