Mark IV Owners - HELP...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reeko

Reaction score
I have a brand new Mark IV combo that I ordered from Mesa.

Anyway, I need to know if it is normal for there to be a loud pop when you enable the Graphic EQ? Mine pops.

For those with MkIVs, does your pop at all? A little? Or fairly loudly?

I took it to the local authorized repair tech, he claims that it is probably normal. You probably wouldn't notice it at band volumes, but then again , if miced I think it would be loud. I need to know if this is really normal, if not, I am sending it to Mesa.

Reeko said:
I have a brand new Mark IV combo that I ordered from Mesa.

Anyway, I need to know if it is normal for there to be a loud pop when you enable the Graphic EQ? Mine pops.

For those with MkIVs, does your pop at all? A little? Or fairly loudly?

I took it to the local authorized repair tech, he claims that it is probably normal. You probably wouldn't notice it at band volumes, but then again , if miced I think it would be loud. I need to know if this is really normal, if not, I am sending it to Mesa.

Does this happen when using the footswitch, the panel switch, or both?

Boogie gives you the ability to turn on/off the EQ from the footswitch. As such, that kind of tells me a loud pop isn't the normal mode of operation.

Call Boogie. Best support in the business.

i get a pop when i engage my fx loop w/ the footswitch. support said it might be caused by my fx. i redid my connections and it hasn't happened for some time. try engaging the eq w/ the external switch jack.

I don't notice any pop in my Mark IV short head but I'll check tonight.

Mine does it both with the Footswitch or panel switch.

I know mesa has good support, I just hate the idea of taking appart the combo (they recommend shipping just the chassis, not the hardwood cab) and loosing the amp for several weeks if this is a normal thing.

But, then again, I ordered the amp 5 months agao, got it last month, and have taken it to the local repair shop twice, so I really have only had the amp a couple of days.

I have convincd myself that I should send it to Mesa, as they know better what is normal.

I also have the shorthead. I've never had any problems with any clicks with the channel switching/eq. I've never used my loop though. It's one of the smoothest switching amps I've ever heard.

Boogiebabies said:
I would bet you have a faulty LDR. The old MK II's would pop only when they were not used for a period of time.

What is an LDR?

Light Dependent Resistor. It is a small electronic switch that looks like a black roach with silver legs. This is how Mesa switches channels and loops, EQ's etc. They are a $9.00 part. They also use relays on certain circuits. From an old schematic it is LDR # 16 that grounds the EQ circuit into operation when switched in.

I have a new Mark IV - no pops when switching - even at high volume. I sympathize with the previous post who was discouraged at having a floor model. When I went to Guitar Center, they had 3 Mark IV's for me to try out - one blew a fuse when turned on - one had no reverb - and the third sounded OK but had a slight gash in the tolex, broken glass in the cabinet from a broken tube, and a fan that was REALLY loud. I ended up getting the one with the gash and broken glass. I would have preferred to get a NEW Mark IV instread of the one I got (for $1650!)- but I did not want to wait for 2 months to order a "new" new amp instead of getting my "used" new amp.

Anyway - Boggie was really good about replacing the fan and sending me out 2 new preamp tubes that went bad in the first week. I absolutely love the amp - in spite of the problems at the beggining - I have played solid state amps for 20 years and never knew what I was missing.... The amp is so much more responsive.

Back