DC-3 Combo Information/Tone Help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC3 Gridlock

Reaction score
Hi, new to this forum. I recenty traded a guitar for a very nice (mint condition) DC-3 combo. This is my second Mesa Boogie. The first was a Studio 22+ that I wish that I never sold.

A few of questions:
1) I could not fugure out what year this was made. Is there an easy method to determine the year made?
2) The Reverb sound on the Lead channel is not as good or pronounced as it is on the Rythm channel. Is this normal
or is there a problem?
3) What are the best tone settings to get a warm-overdriven sound out of this amp on the Lead channel?
4) What is the best setting (exact locations) for setting the equalizer for a warm-overdriven sound?
5) What is the best method to get a warm-overdriven sound at bedroom volumes using the Output Volume and/or Master Volume?

I will use this amp and also Marshall JCM 800 to play 1970s to today's rock playing a 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
So far, I have only used this amp 2x's with the band and I cannot crank the amp at home (living in a condo) to experiment with my tone at band volume.

I appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Doug

Congrats on a great amp and welcome to the board.

First - if you haven't already, read the manual! DC tone controls are kind of odd. The "Mid" control should be labeled - Gain 2

If you want warm overdrive out of a dc-3 use the rhythm channel with the gain around 6-7, put the master on about 3, then turn the output up as loud as you can stand. It will do warm but it's gotta get hot to do it. I've never had much luck getting a DC-3 to sound warm at low volume. It will sing when you turn it up.

Honestly there's just not much "warm" about the DC-3's lead channel. It's one of the tightest/mid-centric lead channels in the Mesa lineup.

Another suggestion... If your amp has the original V-30 sell it on ebay and get a different speaker. There's not much warm about a V-30 and it just emphasizes the mids.

For info about the age, read this... http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=36931

Thanks GD_NC,
I will check out the link and try your settings on the rythm channel.

I downloaded the manual and I did play with the Mid control at home at low volumes and I really did not notice any more gain with the Mid's increased. Again this was only tried this a rather a low volumes.

Does the Mid control work the same on both the Lead and Rythm channels?
What Speaker would you recommend for the "Warm" Sound. Would prefer to stay with a Celestion if possible.

Thanks again.
Doug

DC3 Gridlock said:
Thanks GD_NC,

Does the Mid control work the same on both the Lead and Rythm channels?
What Speaker would you recommend for the "Warm" Sound. Would prefer to stay with a Celestion if possible.

Yes, the controls are essentially the same on both channels.

Speakers are really subjective. I'd think about a Celestion Heritage or a Mojo BV-30H. Personally, I'd go with the Mojo. They are every bit as good as a Celestion, 1/3 the price and made in the USA. I have lots of speakers including EVM, Celestion C-90, V-30 Honestly the Mojo is one of my favorites.

I had a DC-3 and sold it before I realized it was the V-30 not the amp I didn't like. I picked up a DC-2 (essentially the same amp with two less power tubes and no GEQ) about a year later with a stock Mesa Vintage Black Shadow (by Eminence) and was shocked how much warmer the tone was.

Another thought is to check out your pre-amp tubes. Many DC users swear by JJ "high gain" pre amps tube sets. You can can also mellow your DC out with a lower gain preamp tubes. I use EH tubes in my amps. They seem to be a little less harsh to my ears.

Thanks again. Great advice.
I will do some research $$$ on the Mojo speaker.
Maybe put one in my Marshall also.
Wish both amps used 8 ohms speakers...

I appreciate you help and suggestions.
Doug

Whatever you decide to do with tubes & speakers & pot settings, DO NOT SELL THAT DC-3. You will regret it. I had a Mesa MkIV, the Swiss Army Knife of Mesa, IMHO. Great, great amp. However the push/pull pots shared between ch2 &ch3 drove me nutty.

And heavy! F'n MkIV dragged me down my basement stairs at 3am after a gig. Thats when I sold it and picked up a DC-3. Never looked back. I also got a 12" Theile extension cab. Nice. IMHO, 2 speakers always sound better than 1. Need more gain? Pin all the EQ sliders to the top. Switch the EQ on when you want.

If you need more loud than the DC-3 will put out, you must be playing Wembley. Mike it.

The tone controls are actually in different places in the pre-amp section. On the Lead channel they're at the end of the pre-amp (much like a Marshall or pretty much every other amp that is made these days). All the gain and distortion happens first and then the signal is affected by the tone controls.
The Rhythm channel has the tone controls after the first gain stage in the pre-amp. This is much more like old Fenders and old Mesa's. If you turn all the tone controls down to 0 on the Rhythm channel then you'll get a massive reduction in volume. Consequently if you push the High or Mid then you'll get more distortion as you'll be putting more signal into the rest of the pre-amp section.

I've got a DC-5 head and I'm using an Electro Harmonix set from Watford Valves and I'm very happy with them (but then again I mostly play metal).

Latest posts

Back