Mark IV or Quad Pre?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytse_jam

Reaction score
Mark IV or Quad Preamp? What's the best choiche in your opinion?
want to get a sparkling but warm and not sterile clean tone, good AC/DC style overdrive and a great distortion (no need to use any distortion effects if possible) which should be fat and smooth (i.e. Dream Theater first albums or Metallica earlier albums too) but could become big and aggressive (i.e. Dream Theater "Train Of Thought" album)! What power-amp do you think makes quad sound better? thank you for your advice
sorry for my english, here's an italian boy!

The coldness of his words
the message in his silence
Face the candle to the wind
This distance in my voice
Isn't leaving you a choice
So if you're looking for a time to run away...

I would say a Simul 2:90 with the Modern switch.

I also dont think you will be in bad shap with the MK IV. It uses the same output section as the Simul 2:90 only half the tubes as it is not a dual power amp. Instead of having a Modern power section, it uses the presence pot to reduce the negative feed back. I think it is a monster amp with the lead mode presence pot pushed in. I think the R2 will give you the crunch you seek as well.

Mesa SimulClass 2:90 and VHT 2/50/2 are the best poweramps IMHO.

MK IV is an all-in-one unit, very versatile and very good sounding. You can dial in three different sounds and switch between them.
Using a Quad Pre you have to find compromises in settings, as you have on MK IIs or IIIs, because Vol 1 allways influences two channels at a time. Quad + Poweramp + Cabs ... that´s big and heavy, but the sound of a Quad is awsome.

the problem is that a mark IV head isn't so cheap, and i thought to spend great part of my 2500 euros (i live in italy... :D occasion to say: sorry for my english! :D ) for a les paul standard (want mainly a powerful and fat distortion tone, but also versatility)... now i've got a fender american strat (i bought it when i started playing guitar, so at the time i didn't have any idea about what i wanted from my guitar in terms of tone), and for the genre i play (from soft rock to hard rock, heavy and prog metal) it doesn't fit well :?
i've got also an old combo which have a quite good power amplifier and i thought to use a quad (i've heard on this site very good clips of it!) putting it in the Return of the fx loop. A thing to say is that this pwr amp is MOSFET, so no tubes there...or maybe just one, i can't understand well from user manual..will it affect in negative the sound of the quad preamp (pwr amp seems to be good even if mosfet)?
...i've got other question to ask you about it, dear helpers, but i'm gonna considering your answers to this one!!!!thanks

... in this situation, I´d do the following:

buy a used MK IV for arround 1300,- to 1800,- Euros, maybe in german or british ebay.
cancel the Gibson and chose an Epiphone for arround 450,- to 500,- Euros new.
The difference between an Epiphone and a Gibson Standart is small.
The difference between a MK IV and anything with a mosfet amp is big.

well, it seems that MkIV it's the best choice... one more question:
can anyone here describe me what are the differences between MkIV-A and MkIV-B (are they really named so, or is it just a way to call earlier and most recent models?)? i've heard that old models sound warmer, but had other some problems...tell me the truth people!

look at the posts of boogiebabies, he is very knowledeging in electronical circuits and he discribed the tecnical difference a few times allready.
The differences are very small, the B version (newer one) is sounding a little bit warmer and more smooth.
There is no mark A or B on the amps, but you can differ them by looking at the FX return. The B has two returns and a satelite out.

Take a look at the older reviews, your questions are answered allready there.

I like the MK IV more with a Strat then the Quad Pre.

The Mark IVB is warmer. The Lead channel is darker and more aggressive. I have a 1991 and a 2002. I prefer the 2002. It sounds thicker. They both have the exact same tubes in them. The B just sounds better for what I do.

So am I to understand that the Satellite out is just a way to send stereo effects to a different head, via the other heads effects return?

SFW said:
While both are great examples of Mesa/Boogie tone, for what you're asking... I'd go with the Mark IV. Below are some sound clips that I did with my R2 & Lead Channels. I'll get around to posting some clean clips eventually.

Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Clips:
R2 rock Crunch 1
R2 Rock Crunch 2
R2 Rock Crunch 3

Lead Rock Tones
Lead Metal Tone
Lead Rock Wankage

Hi there,

As a new Mark IV combo owner and still struggling to find my voice I really like your tones .. which you mind sharing the settings so I have a great starting pint please.. many thanks.

Tony

Back