28%

Total votes: 36

CoG
Donating Member

Re: King of the Mark III's

Post by CoG » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:30 pm

gts wrote:
CoG wrote:

Yeah, sorry, I'm being unfair there. The thing is that it makes it sound like the differences between the Mark III stripes are a lot more significant than they actually are, and people who are new to Mark IIIs get misled into thinking that, like, black stripes have significantly less gain than blue or green stripes, or that a red stripe sounds like a C+, etc. etc.
It's more of an issue that people DON"T READ:
Yeah. I think a lot of (I'm gonna put my foot in my mouth again here) younger guys (and again) especially Petrucci fans (and here I go AGAIN) who are buying Their First Real Amp, are convinced there's some sort of magic recipe they need to discover. For these guys I think having all that information and discussion out there can actually be a bad thing because they totally lose touch with reality.
Royal Atlantic RA-100 Head
MkIII Green Stripe DRG
Lots of Mesa cabs
Marshall JCM800
Also owned: Rec Pre, 20/20, Bottle Rocket, MkIII Purple Stripe DRG, Rev F DR, Rectoverb 50 Series II

CoG
Donating Member

Post by CoG » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:32 pm

gts wrote:
CoG wrote:

Yeah, sorry, I'm being unfair there. The thing is that it makes it sound like the differences between the Mark III stripes are a lot more significant than they actually are, and people who are new to Mark IIIs get misled into thinking that, like, black stripes have significantly less gain than blue or green stripes, or that a red stripe sounds like a C+, etc. etc.
LOL, expecting people to remember that stuff they read on the Internet might be totally subjective? Dangerous stuff man :)

I think a lot of (I'm gonna put my foot in my mouth again here) younger guys (and again) especially Petrucci fans (and here I go AGAIN) who are buying Their First Real Amp, are convinced there's some sort of magic recipe they need to discover. For these guys I think having all that information and discussion out there can actually be a bad thing because they totally lose touch with reality.

edit: rabies has been quiet lately so I'm gonna step up and be That Guy for a while
MkIII Green Stripe DRG
Lots of Mesa cabs
Marshall JCM800
Also owned: Rec Pre, 20/20, Bottle Rocket, MkIII Purple Stripe DRG, Rev F DR, Rectoverb 50 Series II

glawk
Mark III

Post by glawk » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:53 pm

if you are really curious about the sound of a mark III pay more attention to the transformers than the stripe.

dodger916
Donating Member

Post by dodger916 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:54 pm

CoG wrote:
gts wrote:
CoG wrote:

LOL, expecting people to remember that stuff they read on the Internet might be totally subjective? Dangerous stuff man :)

I think a lot of (I'm gonna put my foot in my mouth again here) younger guys (and again) especially Petrucci fans (and here I go AGAIN) who are buying Their First Real Amp, are convinced there's some sort of magic recipe they need to discover. For these guys I think having all that information and discussion out there can actually be a bad thing because they totally lose touch with reality.

edit: rabies has been quiet lately so I'm gonna step up and be That Guy for a while
Well, I guess someone had to do it :!: :?:

Mk IIA->C+ DRGX head "Cold Sweat" in GTS shell
1966 Fender Pro Reverb
DC-3 head
Orange Dual Terror
EVM loaded Thiele; MS-12 1/2 back
71 SG; 72 Tele; 76 White Strat; 77 LP Custom; 81 Goldtop; 05 Am Dlx Strat; 11 G0 plaintop

YellowJacket
Dual Recto

Post by YellowJacket » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:21 pm

CoG wrote:
gts wrote:
CoG wrote:

Yeah. I think a lot of (I'm gonna put my foot in my mouth again here) younger guys (and again) especially Petrucci fans (and here I go AGAIN) who are buying Their First Real Amp, are convinced there's some sort of magic recipe they need to discover. For these guys I think having all that information and discussion out there can actually be a bad thing because they totally lose touch with reality.
The ingredients in the "Magic Recipe" of good tone are fingers, a pick, and a guitar. You cook these ingredients in a practice room for 3 - 5 hours a day for 20 years and then awesome tone should be readily available with just about any professional quality rig.

I'm sure you all believe how many guys are quibbling in the Recto forum about whether the Revision F or Revision G Duals are better. Personally, I can't really hear much of a difference between the Two and Three channel duals, let alone these models.

The more I play the more I'm convinced my tone is in my fingers and the gear is secondary!!

SonicProvocateur
Mark IV

Post by SonicProvocateur » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:45 pm

While my blue stripe is marked with a blue marker its also made in 1994, it might as well be a green stripe :lol:

If I bought another one (which I probably will as a backup) it would either be a green stripe or another late model blue stripe. All this gain is just straight up addictive, but my bass presence is "t3h br00talz" as one might say. But its also really easy for me to dial in so many great crunchy tones too just by rolling off the gain from 10 to say 6-8 too and playing with the volume knob!

Mark series for life!
1994 Mark III Blue Stripe 60 watt, R2 vol mod
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.
http://www.myspace.com/ytwwvofficial

Vigo1999
Donating Member

Post by Vigo1999 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:06 pm

oh boy! all that conversation gave me a desire to play my blue stripe . . . :wink:

Hey CoG, hows the weather on the Great North? im guessing it's hot right now :D

and just wondering when those kids find out that even such a small thing like a pick can makes drastic changes on your tone . . . they sure will loose that "stripe thing" away.
Amps
Stiletto Deuce
Mark III simul blue stripe
Mark IVA
Blue Angel 2x10' combo

Cabs
Mesa Thiele EV
Mesa Open Back EV
Mesa Open Back VS 12 (2)

Guitars
Gibson Les Paul Custom 92'
Gibson Flying V 02'
Fender Am Std Strat 96'
PRS Singlecut 02'

Racerboy44
Mark II

Post by Racerboy44 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 pm

CoG is right. The differences are so slight that the stripe color is irrelevant. I've owned an early purple and a later blue and they were basically the same thing. No Mark III will ever be a IIC+ and no IIC+ will ever be a Mark III. End of story.
You can never have too much horsepower!!!

80' Marshall JMP MKII 50 Watt
93' Marshall JCM 900 SL-X 2100

SonicProvocateur
Mark IV

Post by SonicProvocateur » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:57 pm

No Mark III will ever be a IIC+ and no IIC+ will ever be a Mark III. End of story.
Very very true sir. If I dont get another Mark III as a backup, hopefully I can afford a Mark IV!

Off subject: While I prefer the more "wet" saturated sounds of IIC+/III/IV, does anyone else think that the Mark V sounds a little dry or choked? I know Mesa is always trying new approaches and giving us artists new palettes of tone to work with, and while I think the V is an amazing addiction to the Mark family, I just find the tones kinda iffy sometimes (of course I know a bunch of people are going to redefine their bands sound with the Mark V, its awesome).

On subject: my blue stripe is being serviced for a blown screen resistor :evil: God, I can't wait to get it back and shred my brains out!

CoG
Donating Member

Post by CoG » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:48 am

From the clips I have heard so far the V has the really smooth, compressed kind of sound like the post-369 Mark IVs :wink: It's good for a lot of guys but it's just not my thing, it's the reason IV's don't really do it for me either.

I also think that about 90 per cent of the V clips out there are being recorded as solo or front-of-the-mix tracks on bedroom/hobby recording setups, so they're probably being dialed in with more front end gain, more low mids, and less volume than you'd use in a full band mix.
MkIII Green Stripe DRG
Lots of Mesa cabs
Marshall JCM800

fishyfishfish
Single Recto

Post by fishyfishfish » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:46 pm

I got to check out a FIVE at the Mesa Store Hollywood and at a local store for about two hours collectively and at different volumes/guitars, and you hit the nail on the head when describing it. It is dry and compressed sounding. Not a bad thing, but it does make room for delays and reverbs and such. Might be a new speaker thing as well. It is a incredible machine though.
Tastes like Condor.

fishyfishfish
Single Recto

Post by fishyfishfish » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:47 pm

Oh, and Red Stripe.
Tastes like Condor.

guitarmaster
Mark III

Post by guitarmaster » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:02 am

:!:
Last edited by guitarmaster on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deftone82
Mark I

Post by deftone82 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:06 am

hi guys

fairly new to Mesa Boogie, let alone Mark series amps...but I'm planning on buying a mark IV soon.
But first: I have to check if I like the TONE (really dude? Yeah really, now fcuk off).

Allready met the express 5:50, very nice amp and the first amp that quite gently grabbed me by the ballz!
So now I'm searching for a (secondhand) mark IV...after many conversations with friens, guitarists, shop-clerks etc...they recommend me to 'check-out' the mark IV. Havent had the chance to hear one yet.

Two weeks ago, I got the chance to test (shortly) a mark V. I mean waaaaaaaaaaaaaa...aaaa...aaaw. Sweet amp! Sweet tone, sweet look (yeah, woodfinish and all that), but in new condition: way over my budget.

In this topic I read alot of stuff like: they bought a mark III because they can't affort mark IV...are these two amps (unregarded the stripes) even closely comparable? is it possible to summarise the differences? Is it wise to also check out a mark III whilst I have the dinero to buy a (secondhand!) Mark IV?

if this helps: I want to be able to play a nice, not to muddy, distored/gainy rhythem stuff (think Metallica/Mastodon, some palm muting), so not the ultra-ultra-brutal shreeking-high lead gain tones (know what I mean?). Next also some nice, 'plucky', warm clean and if possible I would also like to shake out some Qotsa-like dirty crunchy stuff. So actualy, it has to be versatile! Another crucial thing: It had to sound good on low volumes.

SonicProvocateur
Mark IV

Post by SonicProvocateur » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:23 am

deftone82 wrote:
In this topic I read alot of stuff like: they bought a mark III because they can't affort mark IV...are these two amps (unregarded the stripes) even closely comparable? is it possible to summarise the differences? Is it wise to also check out a mark III whilst I have the dinero to buy a (secondhand!) Mark IV?

if this helps: I want to be able to play a nice, not to muddy, distored/gainy rhythem stuff (think Metallica/Mastodon, some palm muting), so not the ultra-ultra-brutal shreeking-high lead gain tones (know what I mean?). Next also some nice, 'plucky', warm clean and if possible I would also like to shake out some Qotsa-like dirty crunchy stuff. So actualy, it has to be versatile! Another crucial thing: It had to sound good on low volumes.
1) While surfing prices on Mark III's some guys will mark theirs rather high on ebay, but you can find some steals too. I got mine real cheap by buying just the chassis, but you can easily score a decent III for $650-800 id say if you're thrifty and lucky (might need a tune up if you score it really cheap, hey thats business). Make sure to surf craigslist and here on the boogieboard too. No reason to pay $1500 for a Mark III, unless you're just DYING for ultra-mint+exotic wood+all options. Mine has no verb, no EQ. etc. I use an EQ in the loop...BAM! Same tones.

2) Classic Metallica distortion? You got it! Mastodon? Use a Gibson (500T equipped), and high gain (OH TRUST ME, its so thick and rich, I love it). QOTSA? Pick your favorite fuzz and go to town! (the Mark is far too focused and articulate, plus QOTSA used bass amps and loose settings). Clean tones on the III are to die for; warm, woody and the best jazz tones one could dream of from a tube amp (imho). Versatility? Its all there bro. The Mark IV is pretty much the "same horse with a different color" as boggiebabies put it. Just the control layout is waaaay different (not push/pull), and is rediculously modular...and smoother. I like the rawness of the III though myself.