mark iii simulclass wattage?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mammothcave

Reaction score
i've got a green stripe mark III. anyone know the wattage for class A and simulclass? thanks.

mammothcave

Don't quote me on this but I believe the Black, Purple, Red, and Blue stripes are 75 watts in SimulClass mode and 15 watts in Class A mode.

The Green stripes are 85 watts in SimulClass mode and 25 watts in Class A mode. I'm not positive about this, but I believe that since the outside tube pair, which are the Class A pair, were wired in pentode and not triode that it increased the power output by 10 watts.

chedgeco... 8)

That is correct. Simul-Class amps prior to the green stripe MK III are 75 watts. After that they are 85 watts. It is due to the outside power tube sockets being wired in pentode rather than triode.

Joey707 said:
That is correct. Simul-Class amps prior to the green stripe MK III are 75 watts. After that they are 85 watts. It is due to the outside power tube sockets being wired in pentode rather than triode.

So the old system meant the inner pair of tubes operated in Pentode but that outermost (the EL34s) operated in triode? In other words they only used one of the 2 filaments?

I always thought the older Boogs were 100 and 60 with simulclass running 4 6L6, and 85/15 running simulclass 6L6 and EL34. The green stripers I know are wired in pentode so there may be a difference. I don't think it matters much since "BOOGIE" watts are louder than most anyway, but it would be nice to know...
ax. :twisted:

The 100/60 models and the simul-class models are not the same. The 100 watters run all 4 6L6's in class A/B, like a Twin Reverb etc. The older simul-class models run the inner pair of power tubes in class A/B producing about 60 watts. The outer pair of power tubes run in class A, triode. Running 6L6's or EL34's produces about 15 watts. So your total wattage is 75 watts when all four power tubes are on. The later simul-class models have the outer pair of tubes running in class A pentode. So you get 25 watts. Total wattage is 85 watts.
So, the 60, and 100 watt Boogies are class A/B amps like Fenders, Marshalls etc. Simul-class is Boogies own thing. It's a mixture of class A/B and class A power sections running at the same time.

Joey707 said:
The 100/60 models and the simul-class models are not the same. The 100 watters run all 4 6L6's in class A/B, like a Twin Reverb etc. The older simul-class models run the inner pair of power tubes in class A/B producing about 60 watts. The outer pair of power tubes run in class A, triode. Running 6L6's or EL34's produces about 15 watts. So your total wattage is 75 watts when all four power tubes are on. The later simul-class models have the outer pair of tubes running in class A pentode. So you get 25 watts. Total wattage is 85 watts.
So, the 60, and 100 watt Boogies are class A/B amps like Fenders, Marshalls etc. Simul-class is Boogies own thing. It's a mixture of class A/B and class A power sections running at the same time.

So they do run the outer pair in Triode-Class A. Guess I guessed right.

thanks for the replies. well, my reason for the question is i've got a mark iii green stripe and a mark iv. i want to run them thru the same cab using an axess head switcher. basically, i'll use the mark three for all purpose distortion, and the mark iv for clean, mild break up, and tighter rythym parts. i'll run the mkiv in simul, full power and pentode, but i was hoping i could run the mk iii in simulclass too. i don't want the 3 to drown out the 4 as i'll have it cranked, and obviously to get a decent clean i can't crank the mark iv. i guess if worse comes to worst, i'll just run the mark iii in class a, and balance them out that way. i hope this makes sense. anyway, thanks again for the info. take care.

Green stripe MK III's and MK IV's are wired the same power section wise. They are both rated at 85 watts in simul-class mode. You should have no problem balancing them. The MK IV does have more options like the triode/pentode switch, and tweed power. If you set the MK IV up in simul-class mode, pentode, full power, it should be just about the same as the MK III on full power.

Latest posts

Back