Studio .22+ or Express 5:25?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UsrName

Reaction score
I'm in the process of down grading and just recently sold my Mark IV (I know, I know!), but I still want that Boogie sound. I found these two models for sale locally and am trying to decide which to get. I had a chance to try out the Express, but not the 22+. The 22+ is about half the price of the Express, so I'm really considering it. I still would like to keep that Boogie Mark tone if I can, (or pretty close to it), mainly for those Metallica tunes. I did like the clean on the express.

Will the Studio give me a Mark-ish tone as well. How does it compare to the Studio Preamp? How does the clean compare? I would greatly appreciate some opinions from anyone who has owned or played both. Thanks.

I really liked my 22+ when I had it.
The problem I had with it, and the reason I went to the DC-3 instead is that I could get a great clean tone, but with the shared EQ, the lead tone would not be what I wanted. Then, I would adjust it for a great lead tone and the clean tone had lost something.

I haven't tried an Express yet, but I really feel that separate EQ's are a must if you use both channels. It's really hard for me to settle for a decent clean tone so that I can have a great lead tone when I know that the cleans can be much better with the twist of a knob.

I would say that you should try the 22 if you get the chance. You might just find great tones on both channels that work for your needs. They are really nice little amps.

A 22+ was my first Boogie great little amp as far as Mark-ish tones kind of but the EL84’s do give it a flavor all of its own. Coming from a Mark IV you may find it a little limiting most of the controls are shared so there is always a little compromising going on. With this amp the 5 band EQ is a must!

On the other hand I have tried a 5:25 (briefly) and liked it allot and it is allot more versatile than the 22+ and each channel has independent EQ’s, volume controls. Wattage switch, contour controls, and voicing switches are another plus.

I too had a .22+ (actually two over a number of years) and loved them. Although they are somewhat markish in tone, they definitely have a very unique tone to them. Metallica tones are "somewhat" achievable. If this was my "only" amp, I would pass on it and get a true 2 channel amp with an effects loop.

If you want to have a nice clean tone and a nice lead tone on your Studio .22+, just add a Lead Drive pot (a very easy and cheap mod). It is actually a "Lead Drive Limiter", which allows you to dial less distorsion on your lead channel. This way, you can have a nice distortion sound without the clean channel suffering.

In case my previous message was a little bit confusing...

Just ask your amp technician to add a 4th volume pot (Lead Drive) at the back of the chassis. This way, you can set independently the gain on your 2 channels.

When the pot is set at 5 o'clock, the pot will have no effect. When you start dialing it back, it will progressively reduce the lead drive so you will have 2 usable channels.
This mod was suggested and performed by Mike Bendinelli on my Studio .22+ and I am totally happy with it.

This was done by Mesa. The original owner had it done.(he also had a bigger reverb tank installed) A little different take on it. Put the gain pot on front seems a lil more user friendly to me.
CIMG0554.jpg

CIMG0551.jpg

what kind of music do you play? I think THAT is the biggest consideration.

Studio 22 is "ok" ...if you go with it, you have to get one with the GEQ. Otherwise, you basically limit yourself to a one-channel amp.

Much better choice is the DC3. EL84 tone, two discrete channels, and GEQ ...the DC series is easily one of the least sought after yet most under-rated Boogs out there, IMHO. Great tones and very versatile/wide tone palatte. Add to this the fact that each channel has its own preamp tubes (after V1), and you have even greater control to tailor your sound (which the later Boogs seem to share tube assignments ...bad move IMHO).

The 5:25 is great ...I've got one. Toss up between this and the Express ...the former is cheaper, has a 12" spkr, and GEQ which kicks butt all over the Contour knob, but the 5:25 does have its merits. Listen to both and decide.

Edward

Personally, I like the relative simplicity of the Studio .22-It takes a little dialing to balance the clean and drive settings, but it can be done. The EQ is a dealmaker, though there are many who like them without it. It's a matter of trying them both out, as it is a "no-lose" situation. To me, the newer Boogs have "too many buttons."

My old 22+ was a little tone monster...once I got it dialed in that is.
The Express was a LOT easier to 'tune-up' if you will and it sounded WAY different....but good too! More knobs = more choices :wink:

Just let your ears decide; you'll know it when you hear it.... :mrgreen:

My 22 sounded great out of the box.
I put in a Celestion G12H-65 and it was much better...in headroom and general tone.
Then I tried an EVM12L and it has been in there since...even more headroom and less speaker colour.

xbolt said:
My 22 sounded great out of the box.
I put in a Celestion G12H-65 and it was much better...in headroom and general tone.
Then I tried an EVM12L and it has been in there since...even more headroom and less speaker colour.
About the Celestion: Did you mean G12-65 or the G12H greenback? (I don't see a Celestion G12H-65) I'm curious about the G12-65. Could you describe how it "colored" the sound? Thanks.

Sorry...my typo...

G12-65 and it had a nice crunchy vintage rock type tone compared to the clear and punchy EV.

hi everyone.dropped in to ask you something that's very important to me :)
i own a mesa boogie studio 22+ amp and it's a superb sounding amp,but i seem to have a little problem with it.To be able to hear what i'm playing (in a pop-rock band) i must set the master control to 7-7 and a half.The problem is that when i set de volume(preamp gain-which is the overall preamp gain) to 3 ,the clean/rhythm channel breaks up too much.If i set the volume lower,i don't get enough gain for my solos in lead mode.How would you deal with this?I need my clean channel to stay clean ,not break up that much...
Would changing the V2 tube (the one that is assigned to the clean channel) help?Which type of tube would you suggest?Are there other non invasive methods to deal with this?THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
For the record i use an Ibanez Prestige Rg2550z with Dimarzio Evo pickups.

I tried changing the tube and didn't like it--In fact I started to have amp trouble around then. A lot of people have done this with good results. I tend to tinker til I find a balance between the channels. Since I switched to a Celestion 90 I have found the sound of both channels to be much better and more balanced sonically.

but did you get rid of the clean break up at high volumes?i am aware that tube amps in general tend to have this problem,but is there any solution?
changing the speaker is smth that i would avoid for the moment,but thanks for your advice :D
any other oppinions?

Latest posts

Back