Mark IV R2, I think I finally figured it out

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primal

Reaction score
Ok,

As much as I love the Mark IV, I have never been crazy about R2, and the reverb just plain sucked.

Well, the reverb still sucks, but I think I have figured R2 out.

Now, I get the best tone out of R2 with my Les Paul Double Cut. My ESP sounds better on the lead channel when I am going for the more modern tone.

But with the following settings on R2, I get a kick *** old school ala ACDC ish, classic rock tone.

If you have been frustrated with R2, try these settings out and let me know what you think.

RHY2
Gain 8 (pulled)
Bass 3.8
Mid 3
Treble 8
Presence 6.7
Channel Master 2 (or higher. Higher the better)

Try it out and let me know what you think.

Again, it sounds decent/good with my ESP. It really shines with the LP.

what works for me is a tele and an ocd. it is the worst thing about the mark iv trying to get a neat crunch out of r2. when i tried to get a brittle bright clean from r2 and warm jazz clean out of r1 the ocd allows me to have 5 really useable tones (six if your a fan of the geq). before that i assigned the geq to r2 and it at least gave it purpose...

primal said:
Ok,

As much as I love the Mark IV, I have never been crazy about R2, and the reverb just plain sucked.

Now, I get the best tone out of R2 with my Les Paul Double Cut. My ESP sounds better on the lead channel when I am going for the more modern tone.

But with the following settings on R2, I get a kick *** old school ala ACDC ish, classic rock tone.

If you have been frustrated with R2, try these settings out and let me know what you think.

RHY2
Gain 8 (pulled)
Bass 3.8
Mid 3
Treble 8
Presence 6.7

I play mine the same, but try pull Shift on the presence and see what you think.

Jack

Janglin_Jack said:
primal said:
Ok,

RHY2
Gain 8 (pulled)
Bass 3.8
Mid 3
Treble 8
Presence 6.7

I play mine the same, but try pull Shift on the presence and see what you think.

Jack

I don't hear a noticable difference.

It seems that when I have the presence above 5, the push pull has very little effect.

Below 5 it is much more noticable.

fatoni said:
what works for me is a tele and an ocd. it is the worst thing about the mark iv trying to get a neat crunch out of r2. when i tried to get a brittle bright clean from r2 and warm jazz clean out of r1 the ocd allows me to have 5 really useable tones (six if your a fan of the geq). before that i assigned the geq to r2 and it at least gave it purpose...

What are your OCD settings.

I have one, but I almost never use it with the Mark IV. Use it more with my Road King

Janglin_Jack said:
primal said:
Ok,

RHY2
Gain 8 (pulled)
Bass 3.8
Mid 3
Treble 8
Presence 6.7

Jack

I have revisited this and have fiddled around more with the pulled presence and I think I am starting to hear what you are talking about.

I am noticing a drop in the bass when I pull it, which is good since the biggest probelm I have had with R2 is the "boomy" bass, and when I drop it to low, I lose my clean channel tone. It actually tightens it up a bit and I can run the bass higher. For open chord AC/DC type stuff, it is really coming along nicely.

Since I got my Kingsley Jester a month ago, R2 has become my "go to" channel. I also use a Throbak Strange Master before the Jester and dial in my Les Paul's volume controls, then it's all good. Clean , dirty , whatever.

never had the problem on RHY2 most people talk about..the Mark IV B has a shitload of gain on that channel actually, especially with my kelly (has an X2N in it)..but ya throw a BB in front of it, then it screams like the lead channel..just endless

One thing I've found with R2 is using it's two 'unique' controls (gain & treble) to shape the EQ, and rely on these much more heavily than the bass, mid or indeed the GEQ.

I set the treble to 10 and then gain relatively low, say around 4 or 5, which gets you a really nice clear, precise yet crunchy sound without any of the mush or rubbish cleans that most people seem to get when you get this channel sounding half decent.

Of course, it took me 4 years to work out how to use it properly, but still - I maintain it's totally possible to get a great sound out of all those channels at once without using pedals (not that there's anything wrong with using them of course).

primal said:
fatoni said:

What are your OCD settings.

I have one, but I almost never use it with the Mark IV. Use it more with my Road King

i change it alot depending on the guitar room etc. but generally i keep it on lp, drive around 10:00 and the volume adjusted accordingly. the tone changes alot depending on how brittle i want to sound. its basically just there to push the front of the amp and r2 needs that imo

primal said:
Ok,

RHY2
Gain 8 (pulled)
Bass 3.8
Mid 3
Treble 8
Presence 6.7

NICE!!! Very similar if not exactly what I use for R2.
:D

I never had any problems with my Mk IV A with R2... I get the Jimi Hendrix tone (with reverb of the amp!) and ACDC tones, I get sweet subtile overdrive for soft songs too. Mark IV + orange 4x12 V30's is just unbelievable. Ultra clean to metalcore to acdc vintage rock, it handles it all!

Latest posts

Back