Feeling Down On My Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CudBucket

Reaction score
I don't know guys. Sometimes I love "having" the Mark IV but last night I was ready to put it up on Ebay. I don't play it much but when I do, I can't seem to find a tone I love. It's probably because I can't crank it but even when I do, I'm not sure.

I've got JJs in it and I run it through a HotPlate and 2x12 Recto cab.

Lately I've been thinking about selling it and getting a Pod XT Pro with a power amp and maybe a pair of stereo cabs.

Anybody got any ideas? Settings? Ever feel the same way?

Thanks.

Dave

Hey Cud, it's me (Deadringer on JP's board). Anytime you just want to rap about the MK IV or in case you need help let me know. It can be confusing! :D

CudBucket said:
Lately I've been thinking about selling it and getting a Pod XT Pro with a power amp and maybe a pair of stereo cabs.

DONT DO IT!! If you get rid of a killer tube amp for some fake-sounding digital modelling stuff you will regret it in the long run. Granted, a heavily attenuated concert amp may not be the ideal bedroom level practice/recording rig, but on the other hand if you want to play live with a band the modelling preamp is severely lacking in tone and dynamics. Why try to copy the real thing when you already have it? Just my .02

Don't do it! I have owned two Mark IV's now and it is just a matter of giving them a litte tune up like putting new tubes in them or switching to a combination of EL34's and 6L6's instead all 6L6's - get a matched set though. I usually put Groove Tubes in mine. Aslo, I have found that my tone changes sometimes with the weather and type of room I am playing in. Bottom line: don't let one bad day of tone make you sell your Mark IV!

LavaMan said:
Don't do it! Bottom line: don't let one bad day of tone make you sell your Mark IV!
Especially for a box full of transistors and computer chips. If you think your dissappointed now just wait until you trade your MK IV for a POD.

Most of the time I love my Mark IV.
There are days though, when it seems like I can't dial in anything I like.

Dave, I'm not sure exactly how the Hot Plate is impacting everything (I understand what it does, I just haven't used one) so my recommendations are going to skip that part.
Try triode/tweed/class A power and dial in the channel you are most interested in, Rhy1 clean, Rhy2, or Lead and go from there.

I agree the thing doesn't seem to come alive until about 2-3 on the Main Volume, but there are some workable tones lower than that, it just takes a little different approach.

If the triode/tweed doesn't get you where you want, bump to pentode/tweed/class A, and keep adding more power ( Full power, class A, then simul-class, either tweed or full) until you find what you want. Sometimes at lower volumes, I can get a better tone with more power and higher settings on the individual channels.

All that said, most of the time I run mine at pentode/full power/class A and my focus is on the clean channel, since I use that most of the time.

Good luck with it, and I agree with the others who say don't sell the Mark IV for a POD. Work with it, if you can't get happy with it, look for another tube amp.

FWIW try this....
Instead of running the amp balls-out and attenuating it down to nothing, set the hotplate for mild attenuation (no more than 8dB) and use the amps master vol. You wont get as much power tube distortion this way, but the amp wont sound so compressed either.

Well, I read the manual again last night and started with Triode/Tweed/Class A and got a much better tone so I know I'm on the right track. I did use the HotPlate on the 16db setting and had the Lead Master at 3.5 and Output at 2.5.

Gonna pull the HotPlate out of the chain tonight and probably put it on ebay.

I also just placed an order with Doug at Dougs Tubes for 4 preamp tubes: GT Mullard reissue, EH and two Shuguangs. The V5 socket will keep the balanced JJ that's in there now. If all goes well with this change, then, I'll probably try some SEDs in the power amp.

Will keep you posted.

Dave

Cool! I'm all for buying another one! Seriously, that's what the Tweed Power switch does. Class A, Triode and Tweed gives me a 30watt amp.

I am thinking of building an amp from a P1 or HO kit though.

When i first got my mark IV heade, I thought it didnt have enough gain for me. I thought that I couldnt get the sustain I needed for faster lead licks and such.

Then I adjusted my playing, went down a guage strings and tweaked the amp.
Now I am at one with the amp. I love it.

With any amp with a Presence control,like Marshall or Boogie I always turn the presence OFF. I think it adds a nasty edge to the treble,takes away the warmth.

Grandor, you used lighter strings?

gp, I agree. I have it off or at 1 the most.

CudBucket said:

Dave

Worse thing you could possibly do. Modelers are notorious for sounding like junk at high volumes. Best left in the studio or bedroom for recording.

Yes the Mark IV requires room and volume for nominal sound. However, by going to Class A mode, you can knock it's power down to 25 watts at "Full Power".

Hot Plates have been known to stifle tone. That could be a problem.

Your tubes could be shot as well.

ALSO!!!!! If you've been playing around, you might have forgotten to return the power switch to "FULL POWER" from "TWEED". Tweed sucks IMHO, and robs the amp for it's characteristic dynamics.

===================
Now if what you desire is classic wide open Boogie sound at "bedroom levels", I HIGHLY recommend you buy a modern Boogie preamp, like a Formula, Triaxis, Recto Pre, and play/record via headphones on your PC.

This way you can play until 4 AM and nobody hears a **** thing.

Actually, I'm really happy with Triode, Tweed and Class A right now. I went from 5 JJs in the preamp to

V1, GT Mullard
V2, EH
V3, Shuguang 9th Gen.
V4, Shuguang 9th Gen.
V5, JJ

The poweramp still has all JJs but will likely be switched to SEDs.

I'm really loving the tone now. I'm almost there.

CudBucket said:
Grandor, you used lighter strings?

gp, I agree. I have it off or at 1 the most.

Yeah, I went down from 11-52's to 10-46's.
I was having issues with the 52's anyway, every gig I literally cut up my fingers to the point that they were bleeding at the end of the night. And they weren't better for a week. Kinda hard if you usually have 3 gigs in a week.

Back