Mark IV lead tone switching

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon8822

Reaction score
I just got a Mark IV and I have a 2 tones that I like on the lead channel one for riffing... and one for lead work. Is the only way to switch between them to get 2 separate amp and run them in stereo?

If John Petrucci has to have two Mark IVs in his rack for his lead and rhythm tones, then so do you. :wink:

I'm not an expert on it (don't own a Mark IV), but unless your two tones use the exact same settings and the sole difference between them is that only one uses the graphic eq (that you could disengage via a foot switch for the tone that doesn't use it), you are going to need two. Petrucci uses two Mark IVs and the only difference in settings is that the amp for the lead tone has more gain dialed in.

This is the very reason I bought a Quad Preamp. Don't need any OD pedals to get it fully saturated. I only have the gain on 7 on that thing for rhythms and leads.

Can someone go over the various options for setting this up if i was to get 2 heads. What other equipment would I need to set this up? How would I connect both heads?

Second question... where the short head made first, than cancelled, and started with the long head? Or were they both produced at the same time, and you had the option?

Devon8822 said:
Can someone go over the various options for setting this up if i was to get 2 heads. What other equipment would I need to set this up? How would I connect both heads?

Second question... where the short head made first, than cancelled, and started with the long head? Or were they both produced at the same time, and you had the option?
Two heads into one cab or 2 cabs?

I believe they were produced at the same time; an option

Sebby123 said:
The settings are very different but if all you need is a little more gain just get a bb preamp.
+1. If you have the cash and are willing to have a more complicated and expensive rig, than go for it. Personally, I would just use a boost.

Latest posts

Back