Help a new Boogie owner

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeffan

Reaction score
Forgive me if this is an inappropriate post but I'm desperately trying to bond with my amp.

A couple of months ago I acquired a Studio 22+. I've given it what I think is an honest effort but I just can't seem to find my sweet spot with this amp. My original intention was to use it primarily as a clean amp with a couple of pedals in front and maybe switch in the lead channel here and there. I expected over time I'd get the hang of the thing and be able to dial in a lot of other useful tones. For whatever reason, that doesn't seem to be happening. I guess my biggest issue is I can't seem to control the EQ. Every time I change volume or switch pickups or stomp a pedal it's like I'm plugged into a different amp. Are these amps really that sensitive? Despite my struggles, I've gotten enough good sounds out of this amp to see the potential so I'm not ready to give up yet. Can anyone clue me in to what I may be doing wrong? I'm using an AS Strat if that helps. Is it possible that retubing the amp will change things dramatically? A different speaker? Cap job? My experience has been mostly with Fenders and a few Peaveys so maybe I'm just not up to an amp with that much tonal range. If you can help a brother out I'd be very grateful. Thanks for your time.

Mike

The Manual:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Studio%2022%20Plus.pdf
Read twice, then enjoy.

There is three basic EQ shapes that I always go back to.
The shapes work well with single/humbucker/P-90.

80 240 750 2200 6600
++ + - + ++ Rhythm, clean

++ + -- - ++ Rhythm

+ ++ ++ - + Lead

You can try them with any gain or voice
Any place that has a (-) slide that up and down for a lot of tone shapes.

stephen sawall said:
There is three basic EQ shapes that I always go back to.
The shapes work well with single/humbucker/P-90.

80 240 750 2200 6600
++ + - + ++ Rhythm, clean

++ + -- - ++ Rhythm

+ ++ ++ - + Lead

Any place that has a (-) slide that up and down for a lot of tone shapes.

FYI, the "Plus" denotes a Studio .22 with a separate Lead Master.
(Eight knobs on the front panel).
It may or may not have the Graphic EQ.

I did not know. :)

"I guess my biggest issue is I can't seem to control the EQ."

I like the shapes with all the Mesa amps that have a 5 band that I have played with.

OK, I sat down today and reread the manual a couple of times and, not surprisingly, it proved useful. I guess I glossed over the whole thing about the EQ knobs being keyed off the treble control. I sat down this evening, turning the T/B/M knobs to 5, disabled the EQ and just played for a bit. Nice warm clean sound without too much complication. I experimented with changing pickups, volume and tone controls on the guitar, and a couple of effects without changing anything on the amp. I think I have a much better feel for how the amp responds to things now. I didn't want to tackle the EQ just yet so I called it quits for the night.

Later, I'm reading something on the net and run across a reference to Fletcher-Munson curves. Am I missing something or is there a relationship between these curves and the recommended EQ shapes? I'm probably making this more complicated than I need to but I tend to obsess over understanding the why of things. Can someone who understands this better than I straighten me out if I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Anyway, thanks for helping me out with my questions. This is the first time I've sat down and tried to really dissect an amp and I'm finding it an eye opening experience.

I have used the EQ and tone controls to help with the problem of volume and how we hear.
Here is a clue - The lower the volume the bigger the smile shape needs to be on the 5 band for your ears to hear about the same tone shape.

But no. I think of the EQ more like channel switching to a different tone.

If you change one control you well need to fine tune every thing else.
This is true of all amps. It is just more so with some amps.

The thing is Mesa amps take longer to know what they can do than most because of all the control.

With time you well know what she can do.

For me by the time I figured out my IV (months) most other amps were easy to control.

I do not think anyone had it just had it come to them on the first try.

I would learn one thing at a time. Amp without EQ. Then get to know the EQ a little. After that worry about pedals and what not.
You did not learn everything in school the first three weeks.
I am not saying do not have fun with all the toys.
But no one is going to learn this stuff fast.

If you do find something you like write down the setting, I could not keep it all in my head.

Belive me - more than a few of us have been where you are at.
I am still learning this stuff all the time. This is after playing for 38 years.

To see what I am doing now go see my post in the Rigs & tones - Tool/Adam Jones sound - thread.

Try this to get in the Keef ball park. Big fan here - I own his two 9X10 cabs he used on the Steel Wheels tour. I bought them from Andy Marshall (THD) who built them for him.

Gain - 7
Treble -7
Mid - 4 or more
Bass - 2
Presence - 5 or less.

You well need to fine tune for your guitar/pick ups/speakers.

Back