4x12 for Mark?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypus

Reaction score
So I've been interested in getting a 4x12 cabinet but I've basically only played a few of them and never with my Mark amps. I liked the Orange and Mesa cabs I played but I'm curious about the Bogner 4x12s.

Any of you guys with Marks that could recommend something to try would be greatly appreciated.

Well unless you get the uber cab which is 8 ohms, most bogners are rated at 16 ohms.

Other then that they are built like tanks, however you will defintly pay more and in the long run just cheaper to buy a mesa 4x12 tradtional/stiletto cab or oversized cab.

Platypus said:
So I've been interested in getting a 4x12 cabinet but I've basically only played a few of them and never with my Mark amps. I liked the Orange and Mesa cabs I played but I'm curious about the Bogner 4x12s.

Any of you guys with Marks that could recommend something to try would be greatly appreciated.

Platypus said:

If you like a smooth bass response and a crisp top end for your Mark, Bogner cabs are great because they weigh less than the mesa.

Mesa Traditional ( stiletto ) is more tight and " in your face" whit solid bass and and the midrange out of the mix.

Mesa standard (oversized) have the same sound of the Traditional but whit more bass response, A little bit too much pronunciated to my hears

Rivera cabs are built from the same manufacturer as Bogner so these are virtually the same.

Orange are between Mesa Tranditional and Bogner

Marshall Slash signature is very similar to orange

All these cabs are fitted with Celestion V30s.

this is my honest opinion..

I guess I should say that I'd like to have a well rounded cab. I do play a lot of metal stuff but I also play clean/blues and jazzy stuff too. Mid-breakup distortion is just as important as balls to the wall to me.

I do have a 2x12 recto that I like with my Mark IV but I feel like its not very balanced. I'm not opposed to a Mesa cab but I'm interested in something else. I also have a lot of Vintage 30 speaker experience and I'm kind of interested in something else. I have two EV12L's and while I like how honest they are, I feel like I want something else for the 4x12.

As for as ohmage, what would running the 16ohm cab in my 8 ohm tap do to the tone?

Platypus said:

Back in the '90s, there were 4x12 mark series cabs that were loaded either with 4 Celestion 90 or with 2 EVM (bottom) plus 2 Eminence 150 (top).

I don't know whether these Mark cabs are different from the traditional 4x12 and oversized 4x12 but, probably, someone in this forum must have the answer.
Regards

Random Hero said:
In my experience, the Bogners have a tighter bass, and sweeter sounding top end than the Boogie Recto 4x12.

Wont I lose some of the balls of the cab by running it out of the 8ohm tap though?

Back in the '90s, there were 4x12 mark series cabs that were loaded either with 4 Celestion 90 or with 2 EVM (bottom) plus 2 Eminence 150 (top).

I don't know whether these Mark cabs are different from the traditional 4x12 and oversized 4x12 but, probably, someone in this forum must have the answer.
Regards[/quote]

It was actually in the 80's, and yes, they are different. They were smaller and bit more compact with a metal grill and front loaded speakers. Most had a closed back on the bottom and an open back on the top. I own one with a fully closed back and 4 EVM-12L speakers. It weighs a **** ton, but sounds HUGE!

I also own an Orange PPC212E that sounds a bit darker, warmer, and middier, but also very good, just different. But the best speakers I've used with my Mark are the Celestion G12T-100's. They aren't quite as middy as the Emenence's in the Orange cab, but are nice and smooth with fat tight bass and clear, but not harsh treble response. Kinda of the best of both worlds between the EVM's and Emenence V30 clones.

So I'm gonna say go for the Orange PPC412HP with the G12-100's. In black tolex!

Platypus said:
Random Hero said:
In my experience, the Bogners have a tighter bass, and sweeter sounding top end than the Boogie Recto 4x12.

Wont I lose some of the balls of the cab by running it out of the 8ohm tap though?

Sorry, i forget to tell you i have a Bogner cab loaded with V30 and mono 8 ohms

If you use your 8 ohms head with a 16 ohms cab, mid and bass response will be soft and confused compared to matched cab

ahoi said:
Why not try a greenback 4x12 ? Has anyone tried them with a mark series amp?

Angus and Malcom loves the metal grill loaded with greenback.
so they mix a soft speaker with an heavy mahogany cab.

The result is a great solid harmonic response..

The Marshall 1960AV with the V30's might be worth checking out (I believe it's the same as the "Slash"cab). I run my Mk III through one, I like it....

Here's another question.. will I lose bass response by running a 4x12 at bedroom volumes versus a 2x12? I cannot crank the cab when playing at home like I could playing out obviously.. but I don't want it to sound worse than the 2x12 at bedroom.

I found that it is a LITTLE harder to get a better lower volume tone out of a 4x12 as compared to a 2x12. It's not that big of a difference, but I did hear it.

Logically, you're just trying to work 4 speakers with a low singal as compared to 2...they choke a tiny bit more to my ears.

It is doable though, and in my latest experience, this is worse, as the Stiletto doesn't do as well at low volume as the Mark series.

I'm still a Mesa Cab junky...so much that I have two of them :lol:

Right now I'm running a quad of V30s left and a quad of C90 right...both in traditional cabs.

If you only want one cab, you should try doing a mix of V30s and C90s....when I ran that x-pattern with my mark, the C90s added some nice, BIG low end, and also were very fluid in the treble. They mixed perfectly with V30s.

The sound is nothing short of HUGE.

ahoi said:

They're only 100 watts, so with a MKIV at full power and high volume they will struggle, they tend to get harsh if you push them too much.

Platypus said:
Here's another question.. will I lose bass response by running a 4x12 at bedroom volumes versus a 2x12? I cannot crank the cab when playing at home like I could playing out obviously.. but I don't want it to sound worse than the 2x12 at bedroom.

The answer is the Recto Standard 4x12, sounds really good with a MKIV much better than with a Recto actually, not boomy at all, just a bit less mid range. :D

I agree with the Standard Mesa 4x12 vote. I had my Mark IV converted from the combo to the head and 4x12, WOW. When you open it up the bass is still tight. It just roars. Any amp I've had it beside gets cut to pieces sonically even at higher volumes by the IV. Other speakers I find just sound flat to Vintage 30's but that's just my opinion on speakers.

merendina said:
ahoi said:

mesa metal grill cabs are not mahogany.

JimAnsell said:
merendina said:
ahoi said:

mesa metal grill cabs are not mahogany.

I think it's a 3ply mahogany like the thiele 1x12

Back