Which MkIV should I get?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MkIV short head or MkIV wide combo

• MkIV short head

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MkIV wide combo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DTFAN4EVER

Reaction score
I am in a really good situation where I get to pick whether I get to buy a MkIV short head or MkIV wide combo. They are both brand spankin new!

I put the MkIV wide combo on layaway, but my dealer told me that they have a short head up for sale now because the person who ordered it couldn't pay up.

So which would you get? I really want both but my wife will only let me have one. LOL I even tried the "it's an investment" angle. HAHA - She didn't go for it.

Here's additional info:

If I get the Combo, I'll be all set. If I get the head, I'll have to buy a cab. My only speakers reside in an F-30 combo and a Fender Super Champ XD. Neither speaker is powerful enough to handle the MkIV.

I am leaning towards the head version right now even if it means I have to get a cab because I can buy other heads and still use the cab and heads take up less space than combos.

Arrrgggg - too many options. So please help me out. :) Thanks

(Poll will run for 7 days. I have to pick one by next week.)

My personal take on it is that getting the combo is a far more flexible direction which is why I picked it myself. All my other amps are set up as head and cabinet and in fact I ordered (and am still waiting on) a cab for my Mark IV BUT the combo allows you to run it with cabinets just like the head or stand alone. I prefer the option of being able to just grab the combo and toss it in the car for small stuff or bring along a 2x12 or 4x12 if warranted. It may not look as cool as a head and cab but you get more options and if, space is ever an issue, you'll not get a better bang per square inch .

If you don't use the mark IV at very high volumes you can use the speaker of the F30 until you have a cab.

I would go with the short-head. The wide combo is the least-desired version of the mark IV. A Mk 4 should be used with a good closed back V30 cab (when playing rock/metal).

I prefer the short head. For starters, the head is heavy enough. The combo must weigh a ton. I'm assuming the cost of the head is cheaper than the combo. You should be able to get a decent cab for the difference.

In addition, if you ever wanted to sell this down the road. The head would be much easier to ship.

I disagree completely that the combo is more flexible. You can hook a head to anything you choose: open, open/closed combo (my favorite), two thieles, 2X12, 4X12, etc... , without ever having to lug around the combo in addition to the cabs you might like to try.

as far as weight goes, it is much easier to carry two 50 pound (approx) loads as its evenly distributed with one in each hand, then heft the combined weight and cumbersome size of a combo.

The only upside is its simple. You don't have to plug in a speaker cab for set up since its self contained. I don't mind running a speaker cable, but to some I am sure that is somewhat of a +.

The head is the most flexible and the most portable, by far...

While I'll admit that a head may be preferable to some as it is about 15 lbs lighter I have a hard time thinking that removing a feature adds flexibility, portability yes but not flexibility. To each his own I guess

if you get a combo, you're somewhat limited to what speakers you can load it with. you'd need to be really careful (always using tweed and/or triode etc...) with most celestions...

Get the head and enjoy uberflexibility and better resale. Plus save your back from that 85lb. combo.

Thanks for all the input. Yeah, I'm really leaning towards getting the head.

I have a couple of questions since I've only owned combos and never any heads-

1) When using a speaker cable from the head to a cab - how long of a cable can I use without degrading the signal? I'm going to place a cab in another room and keep the head at my workstation for easy tweaking.

2) Is a 2x12 cab loaded with V30s enough or is more needed?

3) Has anyone ever played a MkIV with Greenbacks? What's the difference?

Thanks again for all your input. I really appreciate it. :)

Neither! I'd get a medium head if at all possible :D , but the head is the way to go.

1. Get a really good quality speaker cable like Planet Waves or such like and you'll be fine. Don't use a guitar lead !!
2. Should be ok unless you play really loud and use a boost, the MKIV is rated at 85 watts but can reach double that as you crank it !
3. Greenbacks are very low power (25 watts), you'd be pushing it to even use a 4x12 cab. They do sound good though, more classic rock than modern rock and can sound grainy when pushed hard.

It seems I am alone in my preference. :) I guess it depends on what other gear you have available.

"it is about 15 lbs lighter..."

That's only half the difference. My short head weighs about 55lbs, while the combo weighs around 85lbs I believe. Maybe more with an EV.

30lbs might not sound like that much, but the difference between 55 and 85 will feel pretty significant, plus the dimensions are much more cumbersome...

....and, in a road case it would be a bear :shock: .

With the head, your not losing a feature, your gaining the ability to easily switch the type of feature (cabinet) you use, without ever having to lug around the the combo with the unplugged speaker when you don't need it.

Really the only downsides I can think of are:

1. Possibly, a tiny bit more space (foot print) will be taken up in your trailer or car.

2.You have to remember to plug in your cab before powering up :!:

3. Ummmm...the footswitch doesn't attach well (read at all) on the small head. I keep mine in my floorboards hard case.

Then again, if you don't move your gear much or you don't switch cabs ever, my reasoning might not apply for your situation...

tremayne007 said:
With the head, your not losing a feature, your gaining the ability to easily switch the type of feature (cabinet) you use, without ever having to lug around the the combo with the unplugged speaker when you don't need it.
I agree with everything except whats in bold.

If you are broke (like myself :( ) and can't really afford to buy an extra 1x12 or 2x12, etc., the I would say that you are loosing a feature.

That being said, if you have the extra cash to be able to go ahead and buy a cab for it, then my vote is for the head.

Once again, going against popular opinion, if you're thinking of a 2x12 then I'd consider a vertical 2x12 recto cab with a combo on top. Running the cab and internal speaker at the same time would give you a nice mix of V30's and C90 and would project well. Even if you are sold on the head/cab idea a vertical 2x12 might be worth consideration.

ay yes, if the decision is based on price, that will change things. I was just talking about flexibility and portability.

The head generally costs less than the combo, but probabaly not enough to offset the price of purchasing a cab.

UPDATE: Turns out the head is a medium head! :shock: So I'm picking that up. :twisted:

You have no idea how happy I am! So that's on hold for me now. I also managed to get the wife's seal of approval on a Straight Rectifier 4x12. So that's what I'll be running this bad boy through! Woot!

Is the Lonestar 4x10 cab worth looking at? The reason I ask is that the dealer said that I could get more bluesy tones out of it. I live somewhere between vintage and modern tones.

My wife's letting me go a bit nuts with gear because she's making me promise that there will absolutely no new purchases for the next 5 years. In other words - Christmas came early for me this year and the next 5 as well. Aside from maintenance like new tubes or strings which she understands may need replacing from time to time. :D

Latest posts

Back