Can't decide between a mark iv and a rectoverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrykeBack

Reaction score
These 2 amps seem to have a lot going for them but like any college student. I can't afford both. Maybe you guys could give me some pros and cons of both?

I love the sound of Pillar and incubus that used rectoverbs but I'm really digging chevelles new album that used Mark ivs.

Plus I love Santanas tone and U2 and even los lonely boys fender cleans.

What to do?

Honestly Mark IV's are one of the most versatile amps around. You can get almost any sound out of them-or at least **** close.

What type of music do you actually want this for?
ie - more mid gain distortion or more 'im gonna kill you' distortion?

Well I wanted it to do everything from ripping your head off harmonics to blues overdrive. From Indie overdrive to a mix of both types of distortions you mentioned :twisted:

I'm hearing lately that the rectoverbs are much more versatile then people make them out to be with the nu-metal comments.

Some guy posted some clips where the recto sounded really good. I guess I'd still like to see a pro and con list of both amps from users that have used them :?:

Daniel

I was in the same predicament in November. I couldn't decide between the MkIV or the Rectoverb. At the time I decided on the Mark because I heard how versatile it could be. During the couple of months I owned it I could not get anywhere close to the tones I was looking for, nice shimmery cleans or nice thick distortion like Chevelle. That amp just requires incredible patience to dial in the tones you are looking for. I guess I didn't have it. Since I traded up to the Tremoverb I have been extremely happy. The cleans are pretty good and the crunch is just what I was looking for.

Yeah, there seems to be such a hate for the recto around some forums because of that "nu metal" sound. But it seems from some of the board members that actually own them that they are far better then for just scooped distortion (i'd personally like to buck the trend and hit the upper mids with a parametric eq :mrgreen:
Someone mentioned that incubus' morning view album is all rectoverb, so I through that on and I actually didn't even know that, listening to it in the car today the cleans certainly aren't fender shimmery but it has a nice blues overdrive on some stuff, plus i actually like some of that higher gain stuff. its just plain fun sometimes.

While I'm definitely a tweaker that loves turning nobs and just enjoying gettting a lot of different styles out of my stuff, I probalby would never even use half the stuff that the mark iv. And I'l say again that I love the rhythm that it can do that some of these nu metal bands are actually switching to the mark iv for.

Perhaps one day I'l get both :roll: Watching a few rectoverbs on some boards and places around and we'll see what happens. I might join your guys' club soon :twisted:

StrykeBack said:
Yeah, there seems to be such a hate for the recto around some forums because of that "nu metal" sound. But it seems from some of the board members that actually own them that they are far better then for just scooped distortion (i'd personally like to buck the trend and hit the upper mids with a parametric eq :mrgreen:

+1. I use a graphic, but it accomplishes the same thing. :)

I personally prefer the mark IV. But the rectos, mainly the tremoverb, are excellent amps. Does the "metal" thing well, but a lower gain setting, set "spongy" with some mid boosting and lowered bass sounds very good. The main problem I had with them is the voice of the HUGE bottom. No matter what you dial in, you just cant get away from it. Now for clean or metal lead tones it's great, but if you need a more vintage tone, it just doesn't nail it....The Mark IV can, as well as metal and cleans. The only thing you won't get is the big metallic scooped "recto" sound.
Just my opinion.
Play both and decide for yourself. You know what you want in tone.
Go get it.....
ax. :twisted:

axwielding1 said:
.....The Mark IV can, as well as metal and cleans. The only thing you won't get is the big metallic scooped "recto" sound.
Just my opinion.

On the recto you get the newer metallica sound.
On the mark IV you can get oldschool metallica, My lead channel is setup for scooped oldschool metallica. It nails it.

mike from incubus uses a TREMOVERB which is a differnt beast then the 50 watt, solid state recitified RECTOVERB. TREMOVERB is pretty much a softned down dual rectifier, while the rectoverb is basically a single recitifer with a tad less gain.

heres one for sale on the board!:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=224

generally speaking, from what i've herad the tremoverb is one of boogies greatest amps, and the views above certainly agree with this point.

Back