Gain Channel Hiss

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnb1kr

Reaction score
I realize all high gain channels hiss some. My DC-3 does it too. Personally a bit loud. How does one record with this hiss going on? I 've never tried it yet. I've been recording direct with my Digitech GNX-3 but would like to do a track with my Boogie.

If you're getting "idling" hiss, noise with the guitar unplugged, about all you can do is gate or noise suppress the track.

If you have a guitar that is noisy you might look at cables, pickups, guitar shielding and the actual orientation of the guitar in the room. Sometimes if you turn a few degrees the noise will decrease.

Overall, it's pretty typical to gate a gained out channel as even the best overdrive/distortion circuit is going to accentuate any noise at input. I used to record with a lot more gain back when I still had hair and would put 2 Boss noise suppressors in circuit: before the preamp and after. The main advantage was that you could run lower thresholds with both.

Latest posts

Back