Newbie w/MK IIB

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesamk2b

Reaction score
Hi,

New to the group and great to see other Boogie enthusiasts out there.
I'm on Boogie #7 (mostly Mark series) and love all of them.
My newest is a Mark IIB with 6/82 written in green marker under the chassis and is the 2nd MkIIB I've owned. It's a head version with reverb and simulclass. Came with JNL 5881's, obvioulsy not the original tubes. The clean sound of this amp is absolutely stunning. Whether it's on full power or simulclass mode it has a gutsy powerful sound that cuts through the mix.
The lead channel sings but can get pretty compressed. I found the best setting was to lower Vol 1 to about 5-6 (instead of 7-8 like the manual says) and ride the master higher like 3-4 (can get very loud.) Seems to open up the power amp more. You still get good saturation from the lead gain control but more pronounced string definition.
I use it with a homebuilt cab with an Altec 417 12.
I've owned bf & sf Fenders, Marshalls, Bedrock, Sundown, to name a few.
Also played through some boutique amps out there.
Always keep going back to Mesa stuff. I get to use it live on a regular basis with Blues and function bands and there is no other amp that I can feel comfortable pluggin into and just getting great sound without much fussing. Even forgot my pedalboard a few gig ago, just used the channel switch for sounds. Never missed the effects.
If you see one of these for a reasonable price grab it!
Thanks for listening to my rant.

[email protected]

I also have a Mk IIB. Mine is not a simul- class model. I will have to try your settings. The coordination between the volume and gain controls is a bit tricky. Tweeking one throws off the others. Do you have any other favorite settings???

Back