Jim Martin Mark III??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullen

Reaction score
Yeah, Angel Dust is still a great record. I listened to it for the first time in years just a few days ago.

Yes, he was usually using Mark III´s when recording and probably live aswell in the beginning.

He stated in a interview that he used Mark IV´s live later on with FNM, mainly because it was easier to get different tones, without as much compromise. But he liked the Mark III´s better and they were the main amps for recording.

i love that album. man, i haven't listened to it in a while either. now i'm going to have to bust it out when i get home from work.

i can definitely hear the mkIII sound there. great player and band!

I love that album but don't really think the guitar tone is all that great. apparently Jim martin was barely present for the recording of that album and the bass player had to play alot of his parts.

Only during the sketching/writing part. The parts that are there are Jim (except for some 'fluff' on Small Victory and Midnight Cowboy, according to Jim. (in a Q+A he took part in in the last few years.)

Yeah he switched to Boogies in around April 1990 after blowing his Marshall head and the repair leaving the tone different. (Listen to 'Live at Brixton', for an example of post blow out Marshall, flatter and mushier/squelchier than The Real Thing tone on record and on the tour until that point..)
First studio recording it was on, I'd assume was 'Perfect crime' for the Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey soundtrack.
And you can see or hear it on everything live from mid- 1990 through to his last gig with FNM in the autumn of '93.
(it was usually racked up with the IV above it.)
His III may be a Blue stripe, not only by the time he got it, but by how bright and aggressive it was.

He used a III, probably the same one, when playing on his solo stuff, with Fang in 2000, with Infectious Grooves recently. It sounds like one on the recordings he did with Anand Bhatt too. So its definitely his mainstay.

Awesome album. I love that tone too. I actually had been listening to it recently again so it's funny you posted about it.

Latest posts

Back