The Mark IIA Shined Last Night

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlosasi

Reaction score
Well I've been playing in this local Dad's band where we jam once a week. Last night I played the IIA with a Monty Allum modded Boss GE 7 GEQ newly installed in the loop. OMFG what a huge difference. Like I had a new amp. The Cleans where crisper with more bottom, the Lead channel was way more focused and articulate and the previously unusable gain boost mode was unbelievable. We got to this one song where I was jamming and the band made me keep on playing because they were in love with the sound. It must have gone on for 10 minutes before I had to stop. If you ever have a chance to snag a Mark w/o eq or verb, just buy it and outboard because the heart of the beast is chained within.

Glad you loved you Mark IIa! I think you and I are the only proud owners of MKIIa of this forum.

I am loving mine more and more. At the moment I am only ussing the clean channel with the gain up to 8. Then I push the amp with a Maxon OD808 or a RAT II. I love the overdrive you get when you push a preamp tube with a stompbox.

Now I am in the process to incorporate more feaures from this amp to my playing. That is dirty channel and eq. I also want to use a volume pedal to control the gain, I have bought a BOSS FV50H for this purpose but I haven't tried it yet.

What I love the most from this amp is the great defined midrange it has. I am using a Weber G1265 and the amp is mostly mids. VERY detailed mids... amazing. I love it...

Yet another proud MKIIa lover -

Mine's a bit sad these days though, and I moved recently. Brought it in from the garage and dusted it off.

Turned it on and it sounded so sweet - the cleans were amazing, and the drive was nice and thick - for about 5 minutes. Then it started to sputter and cough.

I really need to send it in and have Mike breathe some life back into it. When it's on, it's amazing.

~Betos

The other guitarist in our band has an original Fender Twin, beautiful amp not sure of the date. The cleans on my IIA are equal yet different. No question the mids are more evident in the IIA then the Twin. Together they make a nice balance. I love the cleans on the IIA.

I'm also a original owner of 78 mkII A that has hardly been ridin cause I do not have a place it can breath with out the cops showing and people screaming to turn it down.
60/100 EV EQ Black reverb

Bought mine about a week ago. Manufactured August 20, 1980; wood case (looks like koa?) and wicker front, eq and reverb, 100/60. Totally in love with this amp.

Does the volume pedal trick work with the IIa? Can someone describe to me exactly how to hook it up?

Yet another IIa lover here. I picked mine up on eBay for way too much money 'cause the woodgrain and wicker caught my eye. I love the smoothness of this amp, it can sing the blues or stinkin rock out.

I tried the volume pedal trick on mine, [put it in the loop] but all it did was change the volume, not the amount of drive. What's that mean?

-dave

Another MKIIA user here! I picked mine up from eBay as well, though got a nice deal (sorry jaquetapus ;) ). I've only had it a week but loving the hell out of it already. It's quite the nice upgrade from my former, a HRD. I discovered so many tones in the first day I had to make myself a chart/graph to write down the settings I liked so I wouldn't forget them. I did this on MS Word using the 'table' feature. Anyone else have a specific way of remembering those tones you love?

That's actually a good way to chart your settings. At first I wrote them down by hand and then after a ton of experimentation I just got a sense for settings by heart. I started with the Volume at 10 which the IIa really seems to like, but I've also set the Volume at 5 and the lead on 5 and brought the master way up. Wow is that a nice sound. Have fun, great amp.

JimmyB said:
breogan said:
Glad you loved you Mark IIa! I think you and I are the only proud owners of MKIIa of this forum.

Ummm... nope! Another proud IIa owner here... and proud to be the original owner of the sweet beast born on May 25, 1980. :mrgreen:

Mine was born in '78. Once the reverb issue is addressed by a knowledgeable tech, I believe they are the best sounding Boogies out there. Similar in sound to a MkI, but more focussed.

If your amp didn't come with the factory EQ, then an EQ in the loop is a necessity. I use a GE-7 with my MKIIC+. It makes a HUGE, HUGE difference.

Hi fellow MKIIa owner's does anyone have some favorites settings to share please

Almost deaf
Andy

Although these are settings for the IIC+ they are excellent for the older brother the IIA

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/settings.html

Another II-A lover here.
Born February 1980, 60/100, EQ, with export transformer.

According to Mike Bendinelli, a very unique Boogie sound. Clean channel sounds like a Tweed Bassman.
Great with a 335. If you use single coils, reduce a bit the treble and the presence.

Back