Mesa DC series version changes ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Secondino

Reaction score
I was checking out various DC head pictures here and there and found this pic of a DC-5 head. The switches are different on this one compared to msot others I have seen. Were there revisions or updates on the DC series , particularly DC 5 and 10 ? Thanks

dc5.JPG

Most other DC's I have seen have toggle switches for hte power and stand by and slightly different layout.

I believe that is the A version.

The B version (which was built later on) has metal switches and no LED lights to indicate which channel.

Some say the B version sounds better because the lights arent in the circuit.

I dont really know though.

The "A" version has the LEDs as channel indicators, the "B" does not. Some "A" versions have the plastic rocker switches, others have metal toggles ...don't know if the diff corresponds with serial numbers but it "seems" (in my limited experience with what I've seen) is that the earliest As had the plastic rockers; later As getting the metal toggles. Then the Bs keep the metal toggles but have a white-lined box painted around the channel toggle.

As per a conversation I had with a Mesa tech (in Petaluma), the B version is voiced no differently, but they did give the amp more clean headroom. I've never A/B'd the two so can't speak on the tonal differences, but if it's anything like other intra-series iterations Mesa adopts, it will be a subtle diff at best. Hope this helps you a bit.

Edward

My DC-5 1x12 combo is similar to the above pic with indicator lights and rocker switches. Serial number 17xx, power supply caps dated 92.

Great sounding amp.

I had a DC-5 with the metal toggle switches and it had no LED's. When I traded it in on my IV it sat next to one at GC like you have pictured and I wondered the same thing. I regret getting rid of it as I was the origional owner. I was at GC yesterday and told them to ask the new owner if he would sell it.

I have never seen a Metal Toggle DC-5 that had LED's.

Not that I've seen em all but I'd like to see a Pic of one that does.

I have seen all three. The plastic rockers are on the first version of the A model. The second version of the A had toggles also with LEDs on the front panel. A late friend of mine had one of the later A models. It is still up for grabs locally. I recently sold a B model to a forum member. It had metal toggle switches but has LEDs on the foot switch. Also it is a dual foot switch that switches channels and EQ in and out. The EQ assign switch on the A versions are a 3 or 4 position rotary switch, on the B version it is a mini toggle.

Here is the link to the DC-5B I sold. There are a few pics. http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=14841&highlight=pristine+dc5

I have an early "A" version that has a red shaded grill cloth and plastic rocker switches. Looked for a long time to find one for the purpose of using the headphone jack and the speaker mute. When I found it, ended up being the early version that didn't have a head phone jack. Bought it anyway.

Back