Studio 22+ questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mboogie22

Reaction score
I just picked up a 22+ in blond tolex. This one has no EQ and has the gain mod. I have a few questions on setting this up. One, I read in the manual that the effects loop is in between the clean and lead. If so, can I put a 5 band EQ box in the effects loop with the same effect as the original EQ equipped 22's? If not, has anyone added an EQ to the lead channel? Also, I want to better understand the gain mod and how it relates to the Master and Lead Master and regular Volume (gain). I understand that the Master and Lead Master are in series, but I am not sure how the Volume and the new mod work together. I assume that the new knob on the back is the same as the Volume knob on the front, except for the lead only.

And to recap what I have read from other posts on things to do for this amp:
Put a patch cable in the effects loop to help reduce noise
Use good EL84 matched fixed bias tubes for the output stage.
Use 12AX7 tubes, but play with V1 using other alternatives like the 5751 or 12AU7 or 12AT7.

Getting access to the hidden side of the PCB board appears to be difficult. It looks like wires have to be unsoldered in order to flip the board over. Am I missing something? I wanted to look at the caps for any evidence of needing replacement.

Very interesting topic. Could it be working as a Lead Drive pot?
Maybe, you can call Mike Bendinelli at Mesa/Boogie (707 778-6565) and ask him directly.

By the way, does your amp have a cooling fan? Since the power amp sockets are mounted directly on the board, I was told that over the time the heat could be affecting the board traces.

Two other things I am wondering about:
- what is the meaning of the initials FP (that are ahead of the serial number)?
- how many Studios .22 have been produced? I was once told 17,000 amps and, if this is right, that means that there are more Studios .22 around than Mark III's.
Regards

Mesa says that the first Studio 22 was serial number FP 11,500 (Dec '88 and the last one was FP 28,500 (Aug '93).

Actually, my question to Mesa Boogie was regarding Studios .22+ but it seems hard to believe that they made more Studios .22+ than Mark III's.
Regards

I was wondering:
- what is the meaning of the initials FP that are ahead of the serial number on the Studios .22+?
- how many Studios .22+ have been produced? I was once told 17,000 amps and, if this was right, that meant that there are more Studios .22+ around than Mark III's.

I contacted Mesa Boogie. They said:
- FP means "Fifty Plus". They were including here all the Dual Calibers and the Studio .22 pluses.
- the first Studio .22+ has a serial number around FP #11,500 and, the last one, around FP #28,500. This doesn't mean, MB produced 17,000 Studios .22+
Regards

bumping this thread up because the statement below by the original poster was never answered and I am wondering the same about the studio 22+

mboogie22 said:
can I put a 5 band EQ box in the effects loop with the same effect as the original EQ equipped 22's? If not, has anyone added an EQ to the lead channel? .

so, would putting a 6 band EQ in the effects loop give a similar result to a studio 22+ with a built in EQ?

also, does anyone know if mesa boogie would be willing or able to mod the amp and add the EQ section to a 22+ that currently does not have the EQ?

thanks
chris k

I heard that MB has different mods available for the Studio. You can call them and ask about them.
I am sure that they can add the graphic EQ but I don't know how much that will cost. It might not be economically convenient.

Getting access to the hidden side of the PCB board appears to be difficult. It looks like wires have to be unsoldered in order to flip the board over. Am I missing something? I wanted to look at the caps for any evidence of needing replacement.

:lol: :lol: :lol: It is a mother. Sorry I haven't gotten to it yet. That's my Sunday project. Ok, that and putting a loop in a Soldano, turning a Blues Jr into a real amp, working on my SLO clone, and hotrodding my Heartbreaker. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back