DC-3 Help with Tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnb1kr

Reaction score
I've got a DC-3 that I bought because of all the good reviews I read about this being a very versatile amp. However after having it a month or so I feel it's a little nasally. Too midrangey. I play mainly what I would call classic to heavy rock. Priest, Maiden, UFO, I a HUGE Schenker fan. No Nu or Death metal but an occasional Metallica tune. Any suggestions on EQ settings or tube changes that may help? Would a Studio 22 have been a better choice for me. I don't need or want a lot of power. Mainly playing for my own pleasure at home and some home recording.

mtnb1kr,

I had a buddy of mine that bought a used DC3 as well. Same kind of thing as you, mainly a bedroom player. He wanted it to sound like my Mark III combo but he, nor I, could get his DC3 as beefy as the Mark. I then let him borrow my Mesa Theile 1X12 cabinet with an EVM12L in it and it certainly had some beef then.

After thinking about it for a while though he decided that he didn't want to do the extension cab thing so he bought himself a used Mark IV wide body combo and sold the DC3. He has been happy ever since.

The DC is a great amp, but it is an EL84 amp. Some guys, and maybe this is you, just prefer the big tone of a 6L6 tube.

I would try and borrow a closed back ported front extension cab (like the Mesa Theile) and plug the combo speaker and the extension cabinet in at the same time. It should get rid of that nasally sound. Remember to use the 4 ohm outputs of the amp, there should be two of them.

I don't know if you have the manual, but it has some excellent starting points. Here is a link to the Mesa manuals page:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/user_manuals.htm

Check page 14 in the DC3 manual for sample settings. I think that sample 1 for clean and sample 4 for lead may be what you are looking for. Then just use the center slider of the Graphic EQ to tune it. Make sure the graphic selector on the back is on the in position, otherwise depending on what it is set at it may not be on.

chedgeco... 8)

Its the russian or chinese tubes that give you that tinny, nasal tone.Try some RCA,GE,SYLVANIA tubes in the preamp.I am partial to RCA 12AX7A's in all my amps.

mtnb1kr said:
I've got a DC-3 that I bought because of all the good reviews I read about this being a very versatile amp. However after having it a month or so I feel it's a little nasally. Too midrangey. I play mainly what I would call classic to heavy rock. Priest, Maiden, UFO, I a HUGE Schenker fan. No Nu or Death metal but an occasional Metallica tune. Any suggestions on EQ settings or tube changes that may help? Would a Studio 22 have been a better choice for me. I don't need or want a lot of power. Mainly playing for my own pleasure at home and some home recording.

The DC-3 is a great amp, but NOT a metal amp. It's more for classic rock, blues and fusion. It'a "only" 35 watts, so it won't have great headroom for clean duty. Fine in the studio however. OR, put a microphone in front and run it thru the mixer.

The distortion channel on the DC-3 is silky, and yes, a tad nasally in the upper midrange. All in all a wonderful and classic sounding Boogie.

BTW, I own a Mark IIC+, Mark IV, DC3, Formula Pre and 50 Cal+.

I don't understand how so many people have trouble getting great tones out of the DC3. I had the head and found it disappointing through the recto 2x12 closed back cab.

One day, I ran it through my friend's 4x12 cab that came with his MKIV and everyone was amazed at how fat and chunky the lead channel was. In fact, it was alot more focused and gainy sounding than his MKIV. The cab will make or break any amp.

Don't forget where the lineage of the DC's lead channel circuitry. Again, the 6BQ5s in the power section absolutely rock. They add a sizzling edge to the amp as they saturate and they do not lose their focus as they are driven. The tone will remain focused given the efficiency of the speakers. :)

I think the reason a lot of people can't deal with Mesa's is it takes a little work to dial in the tone you are looking for. I think you can get any tone you want from 1 amp if you experiment,because every setting you change makes a big difference in tone.

Back