My Mark III sounds like it's possessed!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fome

Reaction score
I don't know if this is a common symptom, but my Mark III makes VERY peculiar noises randomly. It's usually a soft pulsating noise, but will modulate higher or lower in frequency arbitrarily. Often times, it sounds like it is distinctly laughing, other times it sounds like moaning. It does NOT sound like feedback. The sound will disappear if I put it into standbye for 10 seconds and turn it back on, but will return if I play anything and stop. Unplugging the guitar has no effect.

I retubed two months ago. The sounds only started happening recently.

Yo watsup bro. Lol, would you be able to help me with this issue?

fome said:
I don't know if this is a common symptom, but my Mark III makes VERY peculiar noises randomly. It's usually a soft pulsating noise, but will modulate higher or lower in frequency arbitrarily. Often times, it sounds like it is distinctly laughing, other times it sounds like moaning. It does NOT sound like feedback. The sound will disappear if I put it into standbye for 10 seconds and turn it back on, but will return if I play anything and stop. Unplugging the guitar has no effect.

Do you have anything plugged into the effects loop?

JOEY B. said:
fome said:

Do you have anything plugged into the effects loop?

Nope.

Swap some preamp tubes around, and or get a power conditioner as it could also be AC related.

Sounds like a tube oscillating . Could be anything from dirty pins to a resistor or cap drifting\going out of spec .

Buddy said:
Sounds like a tube oscillating . Could be anything from dirty pins to a resistor or cap drifting\going out of spec .

I was thinking along these lines too. But damnit, I really don't want to have to take this to a tech and lose a week.

fome said:
Buddy said:

I was thinking along these lines too. But damnit, I really don't want to have to take this to a tech and lose a week.

Then take your first lesson in tube amp repair. Pull out the chassis and see if anything is burnt.

Back